stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

<i><b>This thread has been copied from the old forum</b></i>

"Singlehander for a novice?"
Posted by Alan on 13.09.2004 at 9:05:20
Readership 62
PREVIOUS | NEXT | FOLLOW UP | INDEX
I have recently got into sailing, and am currently taking the RYA Dinghy 1 & 2 course at my local club.

I have a two year old son, and the idea is for me to become competent enough to be in with at least an outside chance of not drowning both of us by the time he is old enough to come out with me.

In all probability, this will involve me in a lot of singlehanding, so my question is simple: what opinions do people have on what would be a suitable classic dinghy for a novice/improver. On aesthetic grounds, I would like a moulded wooden boat, but this would be nice rather than essential.

Advice/recommendations welcome

Alan

Follow up from: Rupert - 13.09.2004 - 11:55:7
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a 2 year old daughter and a 4 year old son who have been sailing since they were a couple of months old. The main thing you have to watch out for is that 90% of your time is spent with attention on the child, and about 10%on the boat, so it is no good having a boat that worries or excites you when said child is on board. We have a 1970 mirror, stripped of all bits like forward toe straps, spinnakers and often even jib, and we get alot of use from her with the kids. Also I take them out in the Firefly, but only on not too windy days. I had my 4 year old out in a British Moth on Sunday, in a gusty force 4, but then he's fearless and I've been sailing a while! In more modern boats, I find the Comet singlehander very easy with the kids because it has a "seat" at the front of the cockpit for them to sit on. Hope this helps!

Follow up from: Mark - 13.09.2004 - 14:12:45

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
a Solo could also fit the bill...was it only a force 4 Rupert ?

Follow up from: rupert - 13.09.2004 - 15:46:14

We made it off the water before the bigger gusts came through, I'm glad top say! 3 extra stone in the front of a British moth doesn't help with the nosediving problem that, of course, the boat doesn't have...
The only canoe sailor in MY village too !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

http://www.stuandliz.co.uk

make bow waves not chat
edjpa

Post by edjpa »

Hi;

Rupert is absolutly right - you have to have a boat you can sail easily if you have tots with you.

My tots (10, 8 and 5 now), saved up their pocket money and bought themselves a Mirror, and love sailing it together. And I enjoy sailing it to - with all three sails it is quite - entertaining - .

I cant think of any singlehanders that I would recommend to a novice sailor to use with their family - but a mirror is small enough to sail by yourself, at it "grows" with you as you become more experienced, you can add the jib and then the spinnaker. Maybe, a solo as they are so stable and have a roomy cockpit.

And, if you buy a mirror for a few hundred, you will probably be able to sell for the same - if you can bear to part with it!

If you go classic or vintage, then cruising dinghys are a choice - tideway etc - but you might just find these not exciting enough for yourself - depends if you want to blow away cobwebs or be reflective in cuising mode.

john./
--
John P Andrews
Whitefriars Sailing CLub