Fairey 14 stemhead fitting

an area to discuss dinghy developments
rme_01

Fairey 14 stemhead fitting

Post by rme_01 »

Does anyone know what the original Fairey 14 internal stemhead fitting looked like? When I got the boat this was missing. There are a good variety of old screw holes to choose from (see attached)!
RIMG0022.JPG
Nessa

Re: Fairey 14 stemhead fitting

Post by Nessa »

gosh, that looks so like Aggie it could be his/her twin, but Aggie is not a Fairey. If you tell me in idiot speak what you need to know I will go take pictures and see if I cna help.

The varnish is on now, we are just waiting for a suitable time to put fittings on. I will get pictures. He/she looks amazing.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
JimC

Post by JimC »

I've seen a pin rack used in that location...
rme_01

Post by rme_01 »

Nessa - the fitting I am talking about is the metal fitting for attaching the forestay to the stem which on my Fairey was screwed inside the stem below what would be deck level if there was one (I attach another picture which may be clearer). I rather suspect JimC is right and that it was a pin rack similar if not identical to to the original bronze(?) ones for the shrouds (see 2nd attached) as the lower screw holes on the stem match. I was slightly weary about only 4 wood screws taking the strain of the forestay but I suppose if it is good enough for the shrouds...perhaps a dollop of sikaflex to help things along?

Anyhow if it is indeed the same fitting the next question must be has anyone got a redundant original lying around?

Incidentally on the Aggie "his/her" issue I think you are stuck with a bloke - at least he was when I went to school albeit that was a long time ago and in these politically correct days....!!
RIMG0023.JPG
RIMG0004.JPG
Robert
JimC

Post by JimC »

rme_01 wrote:Incidentally on the Aggie "his/her" issue I think you are stuck with a bloke
Back in the day it doesn't seem to have been unsusual to refer to mechanical objects with male names as "she". I have an interest in railway history and locomotives named King George or whatever were referred to as "she" or "her" back in the 1930s.
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Hmmm,....if it's marine related "it's" she......just sounds wrong otherwise.......sorry guys :D
Sami.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I would normally agree Sami, but this boat does look awfully pugnacious somehow.

I don't have a stemhead fitting either! The shrouds go into things like chainplates which are set into the wood inside the gunnel. I will post a pic of my screw holes at the stem head.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

its a pin rack.. similar to the shrouds, but longer.

for some reason, mine also had a little brass plate that went between the rack and the forestay.

have photos, but am abroad at moment so don't have them with me.

will try to remember next week, when I get back

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
rme_01

Post by rme_01 »

Thanks Ed

that makes sense - I look forward to seeing your photos next week. The next step will be to find one!

Robert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Havn't found the images yet, but will have a good look in a while.

but for the moment, you could look at this collection of Fairey hardware at:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1137314945 ... directlink

hope that link works.

seems a bit long, but should work

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

solentgal wrote:Hmmm,....if it's marine related "it's" she......just sounds wrong otherwise.......sorry guys :D
I agree Sami, it just doesnt feel right calling a boat he, I have always called boats she, no matter the look and name, I just feel that, that is the way.
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

My boat's definitely a she.
Best wishes

SB
rme_01

Post by rme_01 »

Thanks for the pictures Ed, rather a case of spot the fitting!

I think we can assume that what I am looking for is the 8 screw pin rack shown top left in the first picture and if anyone has one or you knows where I might be able to source something similar I would appreciate hearing from you. I imagine under the chrome it is bronze - is that right? There also seems to be in your picture a further fitting to cap the stemhead which presumably was for the jib tack. This is also missing but I am less concerned about it as i was planning a roller furler with no forestay.

Briefly on the gender issue the theory is that either the "she" is a throwback to a gramatical gender thing as in many european languages (rather spoiled by the fact that it is "le" rather than "la" bateau in France) or it is simply a reflection on the fact that most shipowners in the early days were men and named their ships after their loved ones. If so in these enlightened days what is good for the gander ….. Besides I can see Nessa's point that the early un-decked and broad bowed planing fourteens do have a certain shirt off in your face pugnacious look about them!

Anyhow this is way off topic so back to the stemhead fitting - any ideas where to find one?
roger

Post by roger »

rme_01 wrote:Briefly on the gender issue the theory is that either the "she" is a throwback to a gramatical gender thing as in many european languages (rather spoiled by the fact that it is "le" rather than "la" bateau in France) or it is simply a reflection on the fact that most shipowners in the early days were men and named their ships after their loved ones. If so in these enlightened days what is good for the gander ….. Besides I can see Nessa's point that the early un-decked and broad bowed planing fourteens do have a certain shirt off in your face pugnacious look about them!

Anyhow this is way off topic so back to the stemhead fitting - any ideas where to find one?
and the fact that Aggamennon(nessa`s boat) was a he in greek mythology makes things a little complicated
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Well, yes, way off topic, I know....

Quote:
" Besides I can see Nessa's point that the early un-decked and broad bowed planing fourteens do have a certain shirt off in your face pugnacious look about them! "

But in my world that just means Butch, :twisted:

Sorry for the hi-jack of thread..........
Sami.