boat id clarification

an area to discuss dinghy developments
trebor

boat id clarification

Post by trebor »

Hi I would like to introduce myself, my name is rob user name"trebor", I have already corresponded with some of you on the Minisail forum, I have a boat that I thought was a Minisail Monaco mk2, however I have since found it is not, you have a picture of the boat I now own, yellow sail, number 723 with a symbol of a Bat ( I do not think symbol has any reference to boat, it was done in a horror film theme their were 3 sixes on foredeck etc) under "Aquabat", you also have the same hull but with a bermuda rig under the name "Beachcomber", Rupert thought perhaps they had different names due to rig setup, but he was not sure, and suggested I speak to Nigel on cvdra forum. Thanks Trebor.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
Nigel

Re: boat id clarification

Post by Nigel »

Hi Rob,

welcome to the CRVDA :) .

The history is not well recorded but as I understand it,

L. T. Rudman designed both the Seabat (11'6") and the Beachcomber (13'0") sometime around the late 1960's. Both had lateen rigs and could be built in either GRP or marine ply. The Seabat had no footwell (although I have seen a ply example with one). A later (ply) variant of the The Beachcomber was the Sailskiff - smaller footwell and the daggerboard passing through the deck rather than a casing in the footwell - I suspect that this was sold as a kit for home build & this design change would simplify that. The Sailskiff also used the lateen rig with the Beachcomber "B" on the sail.

The GRP Beachomber hull was later used on the Aquabat and has a una bermudan rig very similar to the minisail. The sail symbol was indeed a bat

So.......it seems you have an Aquabat - everything but the "sixes" is genuine.

Have you sailed her yet? I would be interested to know how she sails and if you can make it to one of our events, compare her sailing to a lateen rigged Beachcomber and a Minisail

Nigel
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Nigel, thanks for prompt reply, I am currently in the process of converting to centremain, I am also in process of removing rudder block from bottom of hull and transferring to after deck, the last owner added another block of wood on top of existing block and fitted a "Steetspar" rudder bracket with a larger rudder blade etc, the bottom of hull will then be a lot smoother,similar to Minisail, not kosher, but unfortunately the damage wrought by previous owner to hull with 4" screws made it easier to fill damaged area, (the reduced drag from block mollifies slightly!) I would love to sail at cvdra meetings, albeit with a boat that would not please purists ! I have unfortunateley removed Bats from sail thinking that I had a Minisail and thrown away ( thinking I had a Minisail was also one of the reasons for removing ugly block from bottom of hull ), would the sail number manufacturers make any? I have only just started sailing (last September), passed RYA level 1, I have always Surfed and Kayaked, I was going to try Wind Surfing, till I saw how many times they fell in water. Thanks Rob.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi Rob,

re. the cenfre main - I would suggest running it aft/centre (like a Laser) rather than a true centre. The boom will be too skinny to use a true centre main without it bending and messing up your outhaul tension.

I can let you have photos & dimensions for the original rudder set up. Easy to make if you have a few diy skills.

Don't worry about the "purists" - the CVRDA is a broad church and nobody seems to question others' ideosyncrasies :D

You should be able to make (or get made) bats easily enough, Suggest you make a card template - the stitch holes in the sail should give you a good start, - fold it down the centre line as it should be symetrical.

Where are you based and where do you sail?

Nigel
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Glad you could make it, Rob - welcome to the forum! Nigel has answered even more quickly than I thought he would!

Don't worry about what you sail - there are amazing cross section of old boats represented at the cvrda, from classical beauties to those only a mother could love - all are welcomed, and often it is the unusual ones which get the most attention!
Rupert
trebor

Post by trebor »

HI I have converted centremain in way you have suggested, and appears to work well, I was concerned it might foul Dagger board but it is ok, the Boom is filled with some sort of plastic from end to end and possibly could have held a true centremain, I did it Laser style because I already had most of the blocks. I have refurbished Rudder and Daggerboard that came with boat, the Rudder is very well made with a shockcord to allow for hitting underwater obstructions. I am a Heavy Goods Vehicle Bodybuilder by trade and I am used to working with wood, metal and fibreglass etc. I am from West Brom and I have only sailed at Sneyd water sports centre, Sneyd, Walsall, I have not joined a club yet, I will continue my course when the centre re-opens in March, their is a large lake about 5 minutes walk from my house, their used to be a club there called Sandwell valley sailing club, based at Swan pool, but I think it has closed. I will come to as many events as possible, however I think a better sailor would have to use mine to get a true comparison, excuse some of my technical slips regarding types of rig and sails etc I have to keep getting my book out to get correct terminology. Thanks Rob.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

trebor wrote:HI I have converted centremain in way you have suggested, and appears to work well, I was concerned it might foul Dagger board but it is ok, the Boom is filled with some sort of plastic from end to end and possibly could have held a true centremain, I did it Laser style because I already had most of the blocks. I have refurbished Rudder and Daggerboard that came with boat, the Rudder is very well made with a shockcord to allow for hitting underwater obstructions. I am a Heavy Goods Vehicle Bodybuilder by trade and I am used to working with wood, metal and fibreglass etc. I am from West Brom and I have only sailed at Sneyd water sports centre, Sneyd, Walsall, I have not joined a club yet, I will continue my course when the centre re-opens in March, their is a large lake about 5 minutes walk from my house, their used to be a club there called Sandwell valley sailing club, based at Swan pool, but I think it has closed. I will come to as many events as possible, however I think a better sailor would have to use mine to get a true comparison, excuse some of my technical slips regarding types of rig and sails etc I have to keep getting my book out to get correct terminology. Thanks Rob.
Bartley Sailing Club, shouldn't be too far away, they are sailing through the winter so you can go now (instead of having to wait) I am sure everyone will be very welcoming, they seem to be accepting to me having the one boat no one else has at my club (a skol moth!) and they would be very happy to cater for your boat. Here is the website in case your interested.
http://www.bartleysc.co.uk
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
trebor

Post by trebor »

HI Max, I have had a look at website, I like the look of the place, I am still in process of refurb ( probably a month minimum to finish ), I will ride over and have a look round. Thanks Rob.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
Pat

Post by Pat »

Go on you two - start a West Midlands section of cvrda!
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Ok, that gives me an idea, similar to the class representatives, should there be region/county representatives? I would happily be one for the West Midlands, or trebor could be one, as I am obviously not helped by the fact I am still at school at the moment!
Anyway, what do you think? Then they could try and organize events on the region specifically for the cvrda people of that area, and others could come along too if they want, and then there could be more events, and more people would be likely to go to them because they would be more likelly to end up with one in there area, and therefore there would be more interest in the cvrda, due to the increase of events, and more people might become interested in classic vintage racing dinghies!
AC 298 TimeWarp
National 12 3337
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Max and Pat, unfortunately I know absolutely nothing about Dinghies, I am a member of Minisail.org thinking I had a Minisail, very nice bunch of people, I have only sailed a total of 4 mornings about 16 hours total, I have not sailed the Aquabat yet, the refurb could be a voyage to the bottom of the sea, or a very slow boat to China, I would like to attend any Midlands inaugural events, perhaps we could do a poll to see how many old boats their are in Midlands, post request for type of boat and area on any Dinghy type websites (MInisail.org etc) and ask if they are interested in an informal meet, and see what happens.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Sounds good, it maybe something to look into soon.
AC 298 TimeWarp
National 12 3337
v8deanoncvrda

Post by v8deanoncvrda »

trebor wrote:...post request for type of boat and area on any Dinghy type websites (MInisail.org etc) and ask if they are interested in an informal meet, and see what happens.
Hi all,
I sailed Rob's Aquabat last week and I found it easier to sail than my MiniSails. Also sailed Paul's Monaco.
Sandwell Valley Sailing Club also turned out to be very hospitable. Thanks for that.

Rob, can you guide David C. the new owner of the Miracle dinghy at SVSC to this forum please.
International Moth Blitz 2 3958 (work in progress)
MiniSprint MK2 'Scallywag' 7000
Leader II 1133
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Dean, I will pass on info, you are welcome at club any time you are in area.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia