Beachcomber and Aquabat

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Rupert

Re: Beachcomber and Aquabat

Post by Rupert »

R&J have been excellent with the Minisail sails, so you won't go far wrong there. He does get busy very soon now, though, and the wait can get long.

As for colour, I suspect you are the first person to want a new Aquabat sail in so long that it will be up to you to start the trend!
Rupert
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Rupert, I have e-mailed Jeckels who made sail on now, I have also e-mailed Minisail sail maker, I have suggested he looks at picture of my sail on cvdra database and that the sail dimensions are same as Minisails, what are mods you have ordered, are they kosher, I may order special sail perhaps with performance adaptations. Rob.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

They weren't my mods - it was the first sail the maker had made for the class in a long time, and he found that it should have been a little longer in the luff to meet class rules, so he asked for it back. I hope to be trying it out on the 22nd, when sailing kicks off again at Whitefriars. All the sails from R&J should be the same now, barring colour choices.
Rupert
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Rupert, have received quote from Jeckels who made original sail, say they have spec in their records and will supply correct sail with number and symbol for £385.97 plus vat (but not in yellow?), I have also received reply from RJ sails, he did not think sail was same size as Minisail wanted confirmation, I have measured sail spread out on floor the Luff is 15 feet 11 inches, the leech is 10 feet 3 inches, their is a curve in sail below the straight measurement across leech, the leech includes mast pocket, which is 3 and a quarter inches measured with a steel rule, so actual sail leech measured from edge of pocket is 9 feet 11 and 3 quarters of an inch, is this the same as your modified sale. Rob.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Rupert, my terminology is a bit off again, I mean foot of sail not leach. Rob.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Luff length is correct, and the pocket size sounds about right. Max allowed foot length as a measurement on boom is 10' 2", which is very close. Max leech length is 18' 2" from top of luff pocket to end of clew, which will be worth you measuring.

I'll try and remember to get my sail out on Thursday and see if it matches the above, but no reason to think it will be far out.
Rupert
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Rupert, the Leech is exactly 18 feet 2 inches, sail is original so probably stretched a bit, but it appears their is not much in it, they probably copied Minisail due to its success, this was probably last throw of the dice for Aquabat/Beachcomber dynasty. Rob.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

trebor wrote:they probably copied Minisail due to its success
More likely they just took something that was "off the shelf" - a bit like the old British Leyland parts bin.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Sounds like the Minisail sail will fit, then, even if in theory there was an inch or so difference before. As Nigel says, though, it looks like they raided the parts bin! I assume your current sail fits your boom?
Rupert
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Rupert, Nigel. Rupert if you look at photo of my boat under "Aquabat" you can see that sail does in fact almost reach end of boom, this is with sail pulled completely flat, I do not know if you actually need it this tight when sailing, if the Minisail sail is slightly longer their will be no adjustment, the sail will literally be same length as boom, received quote from RJ sails of £185 white only, this is "club race sail" this includes number and motif, other sails available colours, stripes and different race sails, all different prices but the dearest is almost half the price quoted by Jeckels. Rob
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Rupert & Nigel, I think you are right about off the shelf. Rupert I do not think RJ sails is confident about Minisail sail fitting my rig, he wants a load more measurements, round the top off mast section round the bottom section, length of boom from mast to end etc, I am not confident myself with measurements now, I think I will wait until I can get to a meeting and actually try a sail on, I think the photo RJ sails sent is your boat Rupert, your boom does not appear to stick past stern as much as mine, is your mast further forward. Rob.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Probably the easiest thing to do is measure the spars - length of boom to mast contact (guessing at rowlock type fitting here rather than gooseneck) and top of mast to whre the boom connects - probably a bit of leeway on this measurement.

If the Aquabat measurements match the Minisail's....sorted
Last edited by Nigel on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I can understand Dick wanting more measurements - there are so many unexpected things which can go wrong when fitting a sail to something which may or may not be what you are expecting.
Wouldn't surprise me if the mast was further aft, with less volume in the Aquabat bow. The question is, is the Aquabat mast pot in the same place as the Beachcomber, which had sail in front of the mast?

I'll measure my sail tomorrow, especially the foot length. I know it is shorter than my very stretched old sail, which was by then too long for the boom.
Rupert
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Rupert & Nigel, Nigel boom does have rowlock end, I have given these measurements to Dick, I think he is also concerned with diameter of top section and bottom section plus my lack of experience. Rupert, I have e-mailed Dick and explained I was happy with quote but would wait until checked by more experienced sailor. Thanks Rob.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The foot of my sail to the back of the mast tube is approx 111.5 inches (9' 3.5"), measured slightly in mid air draped over a boat, but it does seem to be somewhat shorter in the foot than yours. If you post back on the Minisail forum, you might get someone to measure an old Richmond Marine made Minisail sail, which will be longer in the foot, I think. The mast tube was 4.5" across when flat.
Rupert