Y.W. Pram designer?

an area to discuss dinghy developments
solentgal

Y.W. Pram designer?

Post by solentgal »

I was just reading through the list of Holt designs destined for the July event at Wraysbury and wondering if I had anything suitable, and it occured to me that I have no idea who designed the Yachting World Pram dinghy? I used to have a book with drawings in many years ago, which would probably have that info, and I should know really.....But I don't!

Anyone know off-hand? Is it a Holt design by any chance? I tried google, but didn't get an answer.

(My Heron is unlikely to be ready, and I'm sure there are other better ones available anyway)
Sami.
Rupert

Re: Y.W. Pram designer?

Post by Rupert »

Oddly, Dinghy Recognition has the YW Pram, but doesn't give a designer's name. Other books seem to ignore her.
Rupert
Southern377

Post by Southern377 »

Been in the loft and found the plans...............no help!!

Interestingly the 10 shilling copyright fee should be paid to the Secretary of the Cadet Class.

I think there is a bit about the pram in either one of the Yachting Annuals or Dinghy Year Books but a quick scan failed to locate it.

Alan H
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Southern377 wrote:Been in the loft and found the plans...............no help!!

Interestingly the 10 shilling copyright fee should be paid to the Secretary of the Cadet Class.

I think there is a bit about the pram in either one of the Yachting Annuals or Dinghy Year Books but a quick scan failed to locate it.

Alan H
I have it here in "The Yachtsman's Annual" 1948/9 I cant get the picture/scan on as the "Board attachment quota" has been reached"

If you PM me your email I can send the scanned page including the illustration, but it is no more than just a line drawing, though without doubt it is a Cadet. Here for interest is the text...

CADET ("Yachting World") PRAM DINGHY

DIMENSIONS Length O.. 10ft 6.75 ins, Beam 4ft 2ins Draft 6.5 ins, & 2ft 7.5ins with Plate, Sail Area 55.5 Sq Ft, (Mainsail, 42 sq ft.

The Cadet made its appearance in prototype at the end of the 1947 season, and at once attracted considerable attention. Intended for the youngster, and only 9ft 3ins on the waterline, it differs from the normal pram in haing a plywood skin and hard chine hull, simplicity of construction having been adhered to throughout. With its plywood hull and chine angles unvarying throughout the length, any amateur with sufficient knowledge of carpentry to distinguish the sharp end of a tool from the handle should be able to build this boat with ease.Nevertheless the Cadet is 100% the real thing, as the very wise policy has been followed of making it a real racing boat in miniature, the sail outfit including a spinnaker. So often the schoolboy or other tyro begins on some old dinghy of non descript type, and of which, as soon as he begins to pick up a bit about boats, the shortcomings become too apparent, and he then itches to gravitate to a more interesting boat--which may not be available.

With the Cadet, he will already have an interesting boat, and one of whose appearance and performance he can be proud. The boat (designed by J. L. Holt) is decked over all round, with a small central cockpitand should therefore not easily fill when capsized. She also carries adequte bouyancy bags. The plate (wooden), of the "straight up-and-down" variety, gives a draft when down of 2ft 7.5ins,. Lifting handles at four points are standardised, so that she can be easily handled, and thus (an important point) the strain taken at the right places.

As stated simplicity is the keynote; and it is to this end, doubtless, the jib sheets are led to the chainplate eyes where they are shackled; a method which obviates the use of jib fairleads.

There are no fancy hollow booms or masts, but nevertheless extreme lightness characterisis the boat throughout, the maximum designed weight being 150lbs. with everything aboard, including, of course, sails.

With this design, it can hardly be doubted, the Yachting World which sponsored it has once more rung a bell: classes and trophies, nd so on, are being organised, and noone need claim exceptionl ability as a prophet to forsee that the Cadet will soon become established in the small dinghy racing-world
I must say I would challenge Davidh to write a peice of journalism of similar quality!! :lol:

... But there is little doubt there. Sponsored by Yachting world, a "new design" of pram dinghy, to be named as "the Cadet," from the pen of Mr Jack L Holt.
Michael Brigg
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Surely, that is the Cadet, as in "The Cadet" (are they on the list, Roger?) and the YW Utility Pram dates from later.
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

Cadte is on the list and association emailed several times but no response. The more active classes like the Cadet Mirror and GP dont seem that interested although the Solos are trying to get number 2 out and the geeps did put the press release on their website.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Pat

Post by Pat »

Roger - Frensham have a big Cadet fleet and wouldn't have far to travel to Wraysbury - email clibbs (Nick Clibborn)
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Only just had a chance to catch up, thanks one and all.......just to clarify the boat I am looking for info on is the Y.W. 8ft (ish) pram dinghy (unless I'm mistaken?)

It's this one in the pic below anyway, and has a gunter rig without a jib, ....but has got the optional hole in the bottom at present :( .....but that will be sorted out soon.

Any further thoughts anyone?
Sami.
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

We still own a 1956 Cadet (2771) Its a Mk2 - with built in bouyancy tanks front and back.

Not the oldest - but one of the oldest in regular use. It has later aluminium spars - but we still have the original wooden ones. Mast needs some attention though.

Chris sailed it up until last year - As it is up for sale and has already been replaced by by a 1961 British Moth.

She is called Oxo - which is a great name for a Cadet for as well as being able to be read back to front - it also spells Oxo upside down.
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Does YW have a forum you can ask on?
Rupert
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Hmm....a good thought Rupert, I'll have a look, thanks.
Sami.
Southern377

Post by Southern377 »

and the answer is..................??

.............The Bell Woodworking Company...............????

.......Maybe??

.......I tried to load the scans.......dutifully squashed to fit and all I can get is " Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached"

Is it me ?

Alan H.
54YWA - YWUP Pix2.jpg
54YWA - YWUP Pix1.jpg
54YWA - YWUP Pix3.jpg
Southern377

Post by Southern377 »

and more..............
54YWA - YWUP Txt1.JPG
54YWA - YWUP Txt2.JPG
(8.09 KiB) Not downloaded yet

and more...........
Southern377

Post by Southern377 »

finally the bit from Bell Woodworking.....
Bell Book - YWUP Txt.jpg
Bell Book - YWUP Pix.JPG
Must say having done all that it is virtually unreadable.........email me for a better copy.

Alan H.
Keith66

Post by Keith66 »

There were two versions of the YW pram dinghy, the smallest was around 7'6" then there was a bigger version that was 9ft, Dad built her the first boat i ever had. As to who designed her no idea!