Any ideas???

an area to discuss dinghy developments
slim

Any ideas???

Post by slim »

Just picked this up on ebay.Can't find any manufacturers plate or i.d. anywhere.Don't have a pick of the sail but it has what looks like a wigwam on it.Any suggestions please?
Attachments
112839861.jpg
(22.03 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Nessa

Re: Any ideas???

Post by Nessa »

Hi slim, have a look at this:

http://www.cvrda.org/dinghydata/Adventurer.htm

could the wigwam be the A?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
slim

Post by slim »

Thanks for the help folks.Does'nt appear to be an adventurer.Managed to get a pic of the sail though!
jon 005 - Copy.jpg
Pat

Post by Pat »

Was there ever a dinghy called a tepee or a wigwam coz that's what the logo looks like???
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

She is an Apache.
Rupert
GAVinT

Post by GAVinT »

Slim your little Apache boat keeps coming up automatically via Gumtree-on my EBay link, presumably you are not trying to resell her.
It is not dissimilar to the Adventurer, my first boat.
slim

Post by slim »

Thanks for that,spent hours on various websites trying to find it,,just got to sort out some rigging then it's in the water for easter.Not for sale though,just another one to add to the collection! Don't know how it's on gumtree,the guy I bought it from did'nt advertise it on there either. Once again thanks for all your help,John.
LASERTOURIST

Post by LASERTOURIST »

The sail logo looking like a tepee is well known in France, it is a kids boat once manufactured by La Prairie (star product the ubiquitous 12 Ft Zef cruising dinghy , but also the smaller Zef Junior, the 420 /445 me too advanced trainer called the Surf (first single hulled then self bailing double hulled) and the fast Caneton strale (a boorowed italian design from santarelli, one a contender for the 2 in olympic dinghy against the winning 470 and the Fireball) endorsed by the caneton class after the 505 became an independant class.

The rudderstock on the Laprairie boats is distnctive and it is a proprietrary design.

La prairie (which went bankrupt in the early 70's (after a legal wrangle with an obscure boatbuilder called Gouget who manufactured an aluminium cruising moth under the trade name Squale and starrted a cunning legal action against the trade name strale - dart or arrow in italian !!!!) was also a big scale manufacturer of camping equipment (tents mostly) and manufactured it's own sails...in somewhat flimsy canvas...hence probably the "native american tepee" folklore in naming the boat.

http://oceanix.voila.net/historique/historiq.htm a line up of la prairie production in old advertising leaflets (the Apache is at the bottom of the page)

http://www.leboncoin.fr/nautisme/169409694.htm and a rather good looking apache of 30 + years of age.

The Apache was not a fast boat because of it's rockered bottom , i susoect La Prairie just recycled the hull mould of the short Zef (the Zef Junior) with a more up to date (and generally bright orange...for safety) integral countremold for the deck and cockpit.

Gouteron (with the double skinned self bailing Mowgli and Lanaverre with a small FD like , racy looking boat called the KID had much more convincing 2 in kid boats ...but the concept of a 2 in boat for kids was a niche market...the only success in that particular niche being the much later concieved L'EQUIPE (endorsed by the french federation and the sports daily newspaper it was sold chiefly to clubs and was even license buitt in GB and Italy...and was in fact vey much like the KID except for a spinaker chute, a laser style loose fot mainsail and a daggerboard instead of a pivoting one

and an apache
Pat

Post by Pat »

LaserTourist - thanks. I'd really welcome your input with the French dinghies in the new database when I load it as we've so little information. I'll add this Apache now but pictures would be welcome.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
LASERTOURIST

Post by LASERTOURIST »

Hello!

I don' know if the pictures either from Le Bon Coin or from the " Oceanix" site can be downloaded and there dosen't seem to be pictures in an open database

http://www.wanaboat.fr/deriveurs-bateau ... ques/14109

maybe this one ? the orange gelkote has been splashed with horrible white paint