low rider - what model?

an area to discuss dinghy developments
corribee tom

Re: low rider - what model?

Post by corribee tom »

Hi no it doesnt have a T foil, im only picking it up Friday so can assess it fully then!
corribee tom

Post by corribee tom »

Cheers Max, Ive wanted one for a while as they always look good fun and a bit more rewarding than the laser, figers crossed it will be OK but no big deal if its not :D
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Good luck with it, I have got a skol moth, and that is great fun. I once heard someone say: 'once you've tried a moth, it is a moth for life!' so I hope you enjoy it, it certainly looks a lot funner then a laser! and a lot more rewarding, keep us updated on how you get on!
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
makerofthings

Post by makerofthings »

well worth starting to get as fit as possible right now, it is going to push you far beyond anything you have ever sailed before! in a good way..,
I only lasted half an hr the first time I sailed mine, capsized about 15 times and just ran out of puff,
its well worth putting a t foil on, it will save you from a few of the pitchpole possibilitys,
the trick is to sail with the mainsheet, get your weight out on the wing, then keep it level with constant play,
tacking can be a slow affair, you need to sail it through the tack else it will stall, if you find it won't tack try moving the mast rake forwards, mine was a nightmare when I got it, but after a bit of playing I could almost tack it reliably,
I have entirely fallen in love with mothing, the reward of getting it right is huge even if it is only a tiny part of the time,
I hope you fall for it also.
good luck. dan.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

where will you be sailing it corribee tom? both the axeman and my magnum 6 should be out for the Hunts cvrda open, though probably not sailed by me!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
corribee tom

Post by corribee tom »

Yeah ive heard a T foil is a worthwhile addition, I may try it as is first before I start changing it. Ill be sailing it from mersea with the corribee and the rest, i think ill keep the laser for a bit anyway while i do this for time off though! Its looking promising though as ive now got a couple of boxes of ronstan fittings off my mirror to go on it when it gets back. I might do some photos of the stages like others on here as there always interesting to look at, watch for in the next few weeks :)
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Hi Tom, congratulations.......I resisted bidding (just). Some pics and progress reports will be very interesting when you get the chance.
Sami.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I didn't bid either, though I did buy the other sail. A chap from Hunts was miffed because he missed out after bidding a fair bit. Mersea isn't that far from here Tom, so do come up on 9th June for the open, plus you can join in club racing on the 10th, too.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

Hi Tom,
Congratulations on buying your first Moth! It looks to me as though it is probably a Wombat 84 which was Andrew Macdougall's second skiff design and moved closer to the Magnum 6 in that it had a narrower transom, square backed wings and a rudder gantry. These were all features that helped reduce the nose diving tendency and it was only when the hulls became narrower than 350mm on the waterline that T foils really became neccessary. You probably won't be going out in serious nose-diving conditions for a while so, like you say, I would concentrate on getting it up together and sailing it as is. Initial problems will be finding out just how tippy it is compared to a Laser and extremely sensitive to weight transfer, both fore and aft and side to side. Most people who are not used to fully battened mylar sails are too gentle with the sail controls so they launch with a sail that is way to full making it even harder to sail and almost impossible to tack. You can afford to be pretty firm with the downhaul and kicker so that the mast bends to suit the luff curve and flattens the sail. The sail has a short foot so pull the outhaul on so that the sail is an inch or two from the lee side of the boom and that should give you enough power without hooking the lower leech. Ideally get someone to help you launch with the sail already up and adjusted correctly so that they can hold the boat by the wing while you get in and put the foils down. If there are no shallows on your way out to sea get the foils fully down as this will help you control the boat better.
If, or should I say when, you capsize the trick is to either step from the daggerboard around the front of the wingbar by the shroud as it comes up or to keep hold of the wingbar so that you are in the water next to the boat then by pulling the wingbar down you can pull yourself across the wing to grab the mainsheet and extension. By rapidly pulling in the mainsheet you should be able to lift yourself out of the water as the boat comes back to vertical from heeled to windward. Swing one leg up onto the tramps and pivot round into the normal sailing position. It helps to fit a centering elastic on the tiller so that as you right the boat it stays more or less straight till you can reach the tiller. Don't be put off if you can't stay in it for long the first few times out, we've all been there and it does get easier...honest. Let us know how you get on and if you need any more help and advice you know where we are.

Regards

Ian Marshall
Int Moth K3887 Magnum 6 (amongst others)
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Ian, my magnum 6 will be racing at the hunts open, can you come along to join us?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
makerofthings

Post by makerofthings »

reading all this is getting me rather excited about getting mine back on the water.
not long now.
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

Hi Nessa and fellow Mothists,
I'd like to come to Hunts for the Jun gig, however, it may depend on how quickly I recover from yesterday's knee operation. Hopefully I should be back to full working order by then, but knowing what it can be like on the knees downwind the Magnum might be pushing it a bit. I would possibly be ok in the Shelley though so watch this space! I am definitely going to try and make it to Whitefriars for the combined event with the BMs and should make it to Bough Beech for the Nats as well.
Lets try and get more than two Moths to each event and maybe even a scow from the Isle of Wight!?
Did I hear a rumour that you may be looking for a new home for the Roland....I may well be interested if that is the case although it would have to be stored in my boatshed for a while before I could start any meaningful work! Much like yourself, too many boats- too little time.
Great Video from the last Hunts open by the way.
Regards
corribee tom

Post by corribee tom »

Hi thanks for the info ian it is much appreciated as im fully expecting a good few dunkings. Sadly I wont be able to attend the open as I have a fire service BA training week on then but hope to attend some in time. At Mersea the hard is up a fairly shallow creek and will have to walk it in fairly deep anyway. Having said that we launch 49ers there so cant be to bad for it! Just looking forward to getting it back and starting work on it, should make a change from the other boats on the go :)