sailability boat?

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Nessa

sailability boat?

Post by Nessa »

We recently did stability tests on our Drascombe and found it to be rather more tippy than expected (I have entertaining videa evidence!) I'm now wondering if we should sourse something else. Found this for sale on 'Highland and Island Life' while trawling the net and wondered if anyone knew what it is/was?

A gaff rig perhaps using the parts from our curent longboat should be possible, plus we could put one of those little sails at the back, and of course an outboard for safety.

Any comments gratefully received as I'm not that familiar with this sort of boat.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
SoggyBadger

Re: sailability boat?

Post by SoggyBadger »

I believe that there's still a tradition of building/using those Viking-style boats in certain areas of Scotland, often as rowing boats. I suppose you could convert it to a ketch-rigged lugger. I doubt it would be any more stable than a Drascombe though if that's what you're hoping for.
Best wishes

SB
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I think they're very stable as long as you wear horned helmets. As the boat heels over it loses stability until the horns start entering the water, then it gains stability and doesn't go over any further. So it's fine for your sailability as long as you wear horned helmets and not lifejackets. In fact it's a perfect metaphor for the CVRDA, as it shows how you need to sail in traditional rig for best performance.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Nessa wrote:
Found this for sale on 'Highland and Island Life' while trawling the net and wondered if anyone knew what it is/was?

A gaff rig perhaps using the parts from our curent longboat should be possible, plus we could put one of those little sails at the back, and of course an outboard for safety.

Any comments gratefully received as I'm not that familiar with this sort of boat.
This one was in the Turks auction a year or two ago...
4340469913_b81ef2bf05.jpg
Previously owned I think by Kirk Douglas.

If you bring it to the national rally perhaps your crew might not only bring the Hog roast, but also provide the evening entertainment :D :shock: :twisted: ...

Michael Brigg
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

Hog Roast? Surely a discerning Viking would only eat spam?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE
Best wishes

SB
chris

Post by chris »

Cut into three and you could get two merlins and a clinker oppi out of it.
angus

Post by angus »

Don't you put rows of shields down the sides for stability, and you have to be careful coming ashore in a strange place incase locals attempt to repel raiders!
N2153, N2969, Merlin Rocket 3484, Mini Sprint
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

I think Uffa's second attempt at the Jolly boat was somewhat more successful..
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Reminds me of the cartoon of the two rather knackered Vikings coming up the beach off their longship one holding a hoe and the other a spade and one saying to the other "I thought that they said we were here for rake and tillage"