Small single handed gunter rigged dinghy

an area to discuss dinghy developments
NorfolkNick

Small single handed gunter rigged dinghy

Post by NorfolkNick »

Could someone please help with identification of this dinghy.
Its the same basic shape as a Laser but about half the length at 7 foot. constructed of plywood, two sheets each side of the hull with a seam down the chine. Plywood side and fore deck, simple thwart and dagger-board. Rig appears to be gunter, with spars about the same length as the boat. I enclose a photo of the sail logo which is possibly an " f " (picture rotated 90 degrees left to comply with site file size requirements)....any ideas?
Attachments
sail logo.jpg
International 14 #85.
neil
Site Admin

Re: Small single handed gunter rigged dinghy

Post by neil »

I would suspect it is a Foil dinghy. There is a photo of one on the forum viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3710.

I would dig out my books to get to give more detail, but they are all boxed up due to redecoration, but hopefully someone else can provide more detail
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
NorfolkNick

Post by NorfolkNick »

Yes it would appear to be a Foil, never heard of that class so a new one to me, it was rescued by a friend from a shed in Norwich so I'll pass the information on. He intends to restore it and get it back on the water, so any other photos of rigged up working examples would be helpful.....thanks.
International 14 #85.
Dictate

Post by Dictate »

Do a search on this forum for "foil dinghy".
Some posts around August 2011.
NorfolkNick

Post by NorfolkNick »

The Foil has been moved into my shed for working on, and it does not appear to have a bowsprit or jib, given the limited size of the hull it perhaps make more sense for it to be rigged as a mono-sail single hander anyway. Will not be much heavier than an Optimist and with a larger sail should go quite well with a 10 year old in it.
International 14 #85.
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi
My foil had a small jib but it wasn't set on a bowsprit.The boat will be perfect for a ten year old to sail.
Cheers Al
whacko!
Location: Emsworth, Hants; usually sail in Chichester Harbour

Post by whacko! »

I came across several Foils in the late '60s both in the UK and Singapore all fitted with bowsprits and jib - my own example being one of them. Then, in the mid-70s, I tripped over one at Dell Quay that didn't have a bowsprit (but had a jib I think). I always presumed the design had changed at some point.

Chris Turner
Fireballs 6, 66 & 14463