Mirror Mirror, on the wall - who is the fairest of them all?

an area to discuss dinghy developments
SoggyBadger

Re: Mirror Mirror, on the wall - who is the fairest of them

Post by SoggyBadger »

jpa_wfsc wrote:Can you still buy a heron new / kit / ?? If so that is good news.
Of course you can. The FRP boats are built by Dave Butler. Seabird Boats do stitch and glue wood/epoxy ones in various stages from kits up to complete boats or you can build either stitch and glue or framed boats from plans.
Best wishes

SB
GAVinT

Post by GAVinT »

Taken at Ardleigh Reservoir
Last edited by GAVinT on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pat

Post by Pat »

David - pm'd you re Mirror 16
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I fear that Bill (V-C) Conner has got this one right.

At least there is the worthy Heron waiting in the wings to take over the important position that the Mirror once had.....but will it be able to? Not doubting its ability to fulfill the role, just wondering if there is still enough of a demand for this kind of boat these days to make it viable on the scale of popularity that the Mirror once had.

For me the Heron was always a better boat, but just couldn't match the egalitarian simplicity of the Mirror.

I just can't imagine what was going through the heads of the Mirror class when they voted in the full Bermudan rig. It just never made sense to me.

It is interesting how so many classes seem to shoot themselves in the foot in the later stages of their popularity, effectively hastening their doom. Maybe some have brought in rule-changes which have truly re-vitalised the class?

Maybe another thread with examples of both would be interesting.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
JimC

Post by JimC »

Ed wrote:I just can't imagine what was going through the heads of the Mirror class when they voted in the full Bermudan rig. It just never made sense to me.
Cheaper, simpler to rig, less hassle to own...
But I think the day of the 11' family dinghy has gone, maybe for ever.
davidh

Post by davidh »

This is not going to be easy as I think I agree with the postings on here about the future opportunities. But the Mirror is such a good boat for teaching younger sailors how to 'boat bimble' and though the chances for making a sudden leap forward in the class are limited, there is scope for changes to be made - something that doesn't exist on the 'comparable' RS Feva.

I'm now in the latter stages of building the presentation so if anyone has any pictures that can be used then yes please!

I've now got loads of 'factoids' about the early days of the boat so I think the presentation will work but - I still need a few more pics.

Pat - I've only just found your email re the m16 - my mail box was full and the mail was being held......I got an answer back from the vendor and I will follow up the lead you gave me - many thanks

see you all at the show

D
David H
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

I have had 2 Herons, both old wood on frame boats. And I am sure another will find its way to me down the line......
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I can get you some pics of Will and Charlie at the cvrda Nats which are very hi res, but not til Sunday.
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Thanks Rupert, that would be brill - thank you. As well as pictures of the boat racing I also wanted shots of people just 'enjoying' themselves in the boat - which is what most Mirrors are used for!

Cheers

D
David H
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I might have some shots of a mirror being cruised: Dad and kids, taken (from Firefly) whilst on a cruise up the Tamar. If you still need some, give me a call.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
davidh

Post by davidh »

Ed..........................

yes please, if you have a nice shot of 'adult+children' messing about in the boat - in a nice picturesque environment then that would be great!

I was going to PM you anyway on another (partially) related subject - Nevil Shute Norway. I've given the talk that I created on this subject several times and it goes down well, to the point that it's now almost certain that late autumn I'll be off to Tasmania to present to the bi-Annual Shute Conference. I've lots more info that might well interest you - we must catch up on this sometime.

Cheers

D
David H
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

davidh wrote:Thanks Rupert, that would be brill - thank you. As well as pictures of the boat racing I also wanted shots of people just 'enjoying' themselves in the boat - which is what most Mirrors are used for!

Cheers

D

Flying the flag in France! This is at a Rockley sailing holiday in Lac Biscarosse.
IMG_0939a.jpg
IMG_0938a.jpg
Michael Brigg
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi David, just a couple of questions, their are several Mirror sailors at my sailing club who expressed interest in your talk, where is the talk ( I know it is at boat show )? what time? and can non cvrda people attend? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFCrSpx-u-s this is a video of one of the Mirrors that sails every weekend. Thanks Rob. apologies if info elsewhere and I have missed it.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
davidh

Post by davidh »

Hi.......

Mirror's at the Show................

If not actually 'out of the loop' on this, then I have to admit to not knowing quite what is planned by the show organisers! But if past years are anything to go by then there will be a display of Mirrors past and present in the West Corridor that you can browse. The West Corridor is something of a haven from the crowds and allows for a little more time to stop and look at how things have changed -or not changed if that be the case. (have just checked and yes, the Mirrors have colonised the west corridor)

As to the talk, this will be up on the main stage in the big hall and will be at 1pm each day. There is seating for several hundred people but (again from past experience) a 1pm 'slot' is peak time - people will have been on their feet by then for several hours and will be looking for a break - so if you want seats get in early. The talk before at 12.00 is on 'going for gold' and then after my slot is the prize draws.....so I'm going to have to be finished spot on in 40 mins to allow for a short Q&A session.

You never know how these things are going to go - what I think is interesting may not 'hold' the audience, plus it is a far from ideal venue as with sales outlets down the side of the seating the noise level can be quite high. All I can hope is to get up on stage and then off again with too many ***** ups and then hope that those kindly souls from Shearwater SC will rescue me, take me to the bar and help me 'come down' with a long cold beer! So, if you want to catch up, sometime between 1345 and 1400, in the bar (see the thread on the Dinghy Show below) and come and say hi!

regards

Dougal
David H
pierre

Post by pierre »

davidh wrote:Ed..........................

yes please, if you have a nice shot of 'adult+children' messing about in the boat - in a nice picturesque environment then that would be great!

I was going to PM you anyway on another (partially) related subject - Nevil Shute Norway. I've given the talk that I created on this subject several times and it goes down well, to the point that it's now almost certain that late autumn I'll be off to Tasmania to present to the bi-Annual Shute Conference. I've lots more info that might well interest you - we must catch up on this sometime.

Cheers

D
To digress a little. Interesting comment there about Nevil Shute. I crewed his 40' Hillyard Schooner "Runagate" down to Gibraltar from Portsmouth in the mid-1970's. I only found out it was originally his boat relatively recently, when doing a little nosing round the web.
Osprey 1137