Seen on ebay - Shelley Moth??

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Chris 249

Post by Chris 249 »

Cheap boat looking for a home? It may possibly be a Shelley Moth.....from all accounts, one of the nicest-to-sail boats on the planet (or so say old Mothies).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SAILING-DINGHY-BO ... dZViewItem
markj

Post by markj »

Very tempting, I will keep an eye on it as my rig may fit with some adjustments. would be a nice new toy for me to get wet on.:D

Cheers
Mark
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Guys
I don't think this is a Shelly for 2 reasons firstly the bow should be like a narrower version of a Solo and secondly none of the Shelly Moths I have seen and raced against had a hull flair as pronounced as this how ever being a Moth thats not to say that someone took the intial design and altered it. My Chelsea Morning amatuer built by me had a totally different amount of rocker to a friends whose boats was professionally built, but the end result was that there was very little difference in all round boat speed. Due to the fact that most of these boats were built out of 3mm ply (for lightness), and that the hole is about where the mast step should be I would not be prepared to take this boat on as a project.

Cheers Al
last man

Post by last man »

Took a look for my nipper but as there is no mast or sails going to pass otherwise gets expensive
Getting as bad as the rest. Two boats and two tenders
Mark

Post by Mark »

This is already posted on the Boats for sale section.
I am not sure that I agree with Alan, I think that the flare is a post '71 modification and the rest looks very Shelleyish....
RC Laser 898
Mirror 67423 Dawn Run
British Moth730 Moneybox
http://karencollyer.net
Andy MacLennan

Post by Andy MacLennan »

Well, finally got the Moth home at the weekend - with many thanks to the nice man from the AA who bunged it on the back of his transporter on Beattock Summit!!! The trailer had brand new suspension units...unfortunately whoever fitted them forgot to grease them.........:evil:

It would appear (with much help from the American Associtaion) that she's a slightly modified Stockholm Sprite. Will be getting stuck into her in a couple of weeks and will keep the forum posted. In the meantime I need to finish varnishing the decks of the Fireball and finish the winter jobs on the 505..all before a week on Sunday[:p]