new Fairey Boats???

an area to discuss dinghy developments
davidh

new Fairey Boats???

Post by davidh »

I dodn'thave detail that I can copy onto here yet BUT - I was looking yesterday at some interesting details regarding Fairey Boats that are new to me!

The first was an open workboat, I'd guess at about 15ft long. Open, with a marinised Morris mounted midships. Given that I didn't get long to read this, i'd have to say that 'by eye' this was a different hull shape to the Falcon/Fawn.

The otheer boat looked to be a half decked, detuned Gannet - a Fairey take on the GP14.

Watch this space for more detail!!

D
David H
Ed
Site Admin

Re: new Fairey Boats???

Post by Ed »

Yes, I think that I had read somewhere about the workboat.....but can't really remember much about it.

As for the Gannet.....wasn't that half-decked anyway. Thought it was already a de-tuned Fairey 14 with decks?

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

It was Firefly/Swordfish style decks, so no aft deck like the Albacore had, which is how I picture Half Decked.

Not come across a more de-tuned version - I'd not have thought the hull shape lent itself to being a GP14 rival. Which may be why it never got far, of course.
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Ed and Rupert,

I was frantically trying to get more details but I'll end up (I hope) with a scan of the pages.......and yes, half decked to me was foredeck and side decks, no stern tank a la Albacore Mk 1.

The sailing boat looked (at the quick glance that I managed) to have bottom boards and all the cruising bits - but we'll get there.

Ed - FYI........the reason I was in the area was that I was doing the Nevil Shute talk- many older members at Hayling remember Shute well (and interestingly they highlighted a potential link between Shute and Arthur Ransome).

During the talk I touched on the link between Shute and the Fairey family - there was a guy there who was close to the Shute family and went with the daughters to stay at the Fairey family home - where there was a maze in the garden!! Does that ring any bells for you and your brother?

D
David H
Keith66

Post by Keith66 »

Re the Fairey workboat, A friend owned one down at Old Leigh, I did a load of work on her in 1985, she was 17ft long by about 5ft wide & a very pretty hull. She had a Fairey builders plate & was fitted with a morris vedette sidevalve. She became derelict & last time i saw her about 6 years ago was in appalling condition.
Even back in 85 she was starting to delaminate and appeared to be glued with Cascamite or Casein glue. I doubt she is still around.