another blooming moth

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Nessa

another blooming moth

Post by Nessa »

bought from ebay, as ever, now being stripped down due to having been liberally coated with epoxy over paint, which had been put on over varnish. Graham told me it was at Kielder for a while. Writing on the undrneath of the batten holding the inner edge of the wing down tells me it was fitted by Duncan Reid of Argyll in 1991 and is K3634 'Devil's Advocate'. Anyone know anything. Nice Anderson Aeroweb sail. Weird cockpit like thing.

pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16721381@N02/
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
solentgal

Re: another blooming moth

Post by solentgal »

That's definitely the one I was offered a couple of years ago.... I have a few pics of her sent by the owner....it was at Kielder, so I can confirm it was definitely there. I was intending collecting it on my way back from Scotland one trip.....but it never happened. I had several emails to and fro with the owner, but I can't remember whether we ever established it's pedigree, and the emails are long deleted ........Womble was discussed, but last time I suggested that someone said it wasn't if I remember correctly.......so no further forward I'm afraid Nessa. I can email the pics if you want me to....just pm me your email address......but she probably looked the same as when you got her.....yellow and white, and all assembled.
Sami.
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

All I can add to this is what it's not.....It's not a Womble, Stockholm Sprite, Chelsea Morning, Phobia, Nervous Breakdown, Shelley, Poacher, Mirage or Mistral (all of which were built in a fair number from 1968 - 1980).

If the no. K3634 is correct it was built in 1976, as I built my first boat K3631 that year.

It is an interesting and very nice shape, with most of the rocker in the forward half, flattened at the transom, yet without chines - I think it must a one-off and I commend its builder.

Here is a montage of photos of some of those hull designs:

Paul M
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

ah well, thanks for that Paul. David thought it might be a Stockholm Sprite, but your pic shows it clearly is not. It is a sweet little boat to sail tippy but not overly so, and should be a lot lighter now I hav e helped it shed generations of paint and a winter's worth of wet wood. Pics of the finished article coming soon.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I had a sail in this today, first time after its make over. It was lovely. I think I need slippery shorts on so I can slide up the canvas on the wing more easily, but it was just great; sensitive yet forgiving, fast and very smooth. Loved it.

:D
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World