classic boat museum

an area to discuss dinghy developments
merlinchris

Post by merlinchris »

Hi can anyone help - i seem to remember finding on th web details of a museum with numerous classic N12, Nerlin and Int 14. Have not been able to find it since, think it is in the scottish borders. Was i imagining it or does someone know where it is?
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
andrew

Post by andrew »

Interesting story. A lot of the boats belonged to the Exeter maritime museum and were "The working boats of the world collection" held by ISCA (International sailing craft association )they made it to Scotland but I think are not yet on display.
The racing dinghies were from a private collection and are in storage in Lowestoft last time I heard. It is an unequaled collection and sadly not on display. There was some talk of a part of the collection moving to Poole.
It seems a huge shame that this astounding collection cannot be housed and displayed and maybe used. As are the boats of the Classic boat museum on the Isle Of Wight.

Is this a job for the CVRDA - who has a big enough shed ?
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Gosh....don't start....

No, this is not a job for the CVRDA.

and over a beer or two I would happily explain why....

But I would say that the CVRDA, the National Maritime Museum - Cornwall 'Small Boats Collection'and the class associations are all aware of the situation and in contact with all the relevent parties.

For what it is worth, Andrew Thornhill, the collector who built up this vast collection was very much part of the original loose grouping of people that later went on to become the CVRDA and the events that he put on with Rupert at Saltford were some of the first 'classic' dinghy events that I went to.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it