Torch dinghy...built in Chelmsford '80?...any info' welcome!

an area to discuss dinghy developments
iconic

Torch dinghy...built in Chelmsford '80?...any info' welcome!

Post by iconic »

Hi guys, great site you have here 8)

I've just bought my first dinghy at the ripe old age of 50. I thought I'd do something I've longed to do...learn to sail.

My 'new to me today' old tub is a 'Torch', they were built in Chelmsford around 1965-1980 I believe? I found some limited info on them, 1st ones were wooden up to early 70's, then grp with wood decks, designed by two Essex school teachers as stable and tough learner dinghys, used by Essex schools...she certainly is a tough old thing, at only 13ft she is heavy even for 2 men to move around on a launch trolley. Built in floatation tanks, fore and aft, Bermuda rig, 13ftx5ft, swinging centre board. The rigging is unusual to me in that the main sheets are attatched to one side at the rear and she has a rear track above the transum or this normal? Very simple kicker, no blocks.

Any other info' very welcome....what else is she similar to for covers etc...she reminds me a little of a GP14, but being a real rookie I'm sure someone else can suggest something else.

I'm hoping to join the Beccles Amatuer Sailing Club and learn the ropes there, so to speak.

many thanks

PS she was bought from a member of the Wooden Ferrers Sailing Club...I hope the guy doesn't mind me using his photos.

'African Queen' Torch 371
Alan P.

Re: Torch dinghy...built in Chelmsford '80?...any info' welc

Post by Alan P. »

Hello and good on you! At 50 you should be able to look forward to years of sailing. Welcome to a whole new world!

I have just posted a reply to another posting on here and so have my 1973 copy of "Boat World Guide No.1 Sailing Dinghies2 to hand. In it there is a pic of an all grp Torch. It lists various vital statistics and says the designer was one Bert Keeble. The supplier is listed as Gerard Goulding, The Boat Shop,9 The Colonnade, Woolston, Southampton, although he may well not have been the actual builder. The Portmouth yardstick rating (YN2) was 117. This was the old handicaping system but still used by CVRDA.
I can try and scan the page and then email it to you if you let me have an address by PM.

With regards to your mainsheet system, does the pulley on the transom run along the tracking from side to side and over the tiller or is it in a fixed position on one side? Best if it can run from side to side as this will angle the boom in a better position for both tacks.

Rain and Sun Dinghy Covers ( http://www.rainandsunshop.co.uk ) have prices listed for the Torch. I bought a poly cotton one for my woody OK and was very pleased with it. Not cheap but a good fitted cover is a must really with a wooden boat and will save loads of cash and time on painting and varnishing.

Best of luck
Alan
OK 1211 Peter Crew wood 1968
Gull 2892 Hartley MK6 Plastic 2014
Streaker 1582. Home built. Wood 2005
iconic

Re: Torch dinghy...built in Chelmsford '80?...any info' welc

Post by iconic »

Hi alan and thanks for the reply. The rear traveller sits over the transum, looks similar to football goalpost....l'll post some pics
my email addresss is fourelms@fsmail.net

cheers for the help
'African Queen' Torch 371