Torch Class

an area to discuss dinghy developments
katerick

Torch Class

Post by katerick »

I have recently purchased an old Torch class dinghy (Bert Keeble design) and have spent the summer renovating it. I am new to boating and wondered if anybody on here has any information relating to early Torch class. I have been told by the Jeckells sails that the sails are about 45 years old, but apart from a couple of pictures online I am drawing blanks each time I search.
Any help will be much appreciated.
Attachments
compress2.jpg
compress.jpg
Last edited by katerick on Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PeterV

Re: Torch Class

Post by PeterV »

You'll find information on this site if you search. The Torch was designed for schools to build and sail. The original boats were ply hulls and Gunter rigs, they later had grp hulls and Bermudan rigs. There used to be large fleets of them sailing at the schools regattas in Essex.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
iconic

Post by iconic »

....like buses.. .!
Yours looks a little different to mine deck and seatwise...what sail number is yours

pics of mine are in the boat maintainance section under transum traveller..my first dinghy too. ..search should throw up some info'.
'African Queen' Torch 371
iconic

Post by iconic »

Being the shallow type i bought as i like their simple oldschool lines....mines grp and heavy but very solid....im sure to test the build quality being a rookie.

the portsmouth handicap is 1107 which i think seems a bit harsh but im not too clued up on these things

my sail number is 371 and i believe there were around 400 built?
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

On the PY front, I think I read it was 117 in the old 3 figure system. This works out to about 1330 in the new, which would put it in the same ball park as Gulls, Herons, Mirrors and the like.
Rupert
iconic

Post by iconic »

Ya correct rupert....been a long week....i can say they weigh 250lbs...lardy old tubs!
iconic

Post by iconic »

found this for GRP Torch

iconic

Post by iconic »

my interior...no upfront sofas

Brian E. Evans

Post by Brian E. Evans »

Back in the 1960s I did a national schools sailing association course in Cowes on the isle of Wight administered by Bert Keeble. One of the toys he had there was a cabin cruiser version of the Torch that I and several other instructor students sailed. Putting it mildly, it was even more "lardy" than the Torch.
Brian Evans.
Hotspur

Post by Hotspur »

117? Is that the old, old 3-figure system? If it was the last 3-figure PY that would put it up there with National 12s, Enterprises etc. Mirrors, Gulls etc were in the 140s if I recall correctly.

There were a few GRP Torches at Ardleigh when I started sailing, along with Otters and round-bilge Gulls. My school (Tendring) had one which sat languishing outside for a long time until it was put on a bonfire - it went unmourned by the school's sailors. My memory of the Torches I came across was that they were very heavy for their size, probably very overbuilt with thick chopped-strand mat and buckets of polyester resin. Couldn't tell you how they sailed!
Visit my blog Naval Air History at navalairhistory.com
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

Looks to have lasted better than the flimsy Lark I took to the dump recently

Perhaps there is something in the 'well made' type of boat. I bet she would make a great 'sea boat' like the old Bosuns

Steve Hawkins
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
JimC

Post by JimC »

Hotspur wrote:117? Is that the old, old 3-figure system? If it was the last 3-figure PY that would put it up there with National 12s, Enterprises etc.
They certainly weren't anywhere near Enterprises. At a guess that's 117 in the pre 1973 (and CVRDA) numbers, which is ~equivalent to 1325 in modern money.