Off topic slightly....Westerly Nimrod

an area to discuss dinghy developments
solentgal

Off topic slightly....Westerly Nimrod

Post by solentgal »

A bit cheeky, I know, as a Westerly Nimrod doesn't tick any boxes for CVRDA, but I want to tap into the experience/knowledge on here if I may?

We have just bought a Nimrod for some gentle cruising/over-night stops, and when I was doing my research prior to buying I found several references to there having been 186 built in total.......so I was surprised to find the mainsail (with correct insignia) has number 216. The sail is probably the original, as it has sewn on insignia/number.

Does anyone on here know the correct number built........just out of curiosity really, (going to try on Y&Y forum too)
Many thanks.
Sami.
Michael Brigg

Re: Off topic slightly....Westerly Nimrod

Post by Michael Brigg »

Hi,

There is a Westerly broker on the Quay at Fareham. Next to the slipway/Fareham Sailing club. Just round the corner from you (ish)

I will try to look in and pick their brains. They are not always open but I am often passing by.
Michael Brigg
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Many thanks Michael, no rush, but would be interesting.
Sami.
simonmw

Post by simonmw »

They were also built by Anglo Marine in Clacton on Sea, I remember seeing the moulds sitting out the back gathering moss when I was working there in the late '90s.

I think Anglo Marine were the last builder, I believe (although stand to be corrected) that the moulds were sold by Westerly to somebody else in between- if the sail numbers were continuous, ie picking up where they left off from the previous builder, that could explain this?

Simon.
Current custodian of-
Micro 18
Tiger Moth
'Gentleman Jim' Moth GBR3936
'Dragon' Moth GBR3848
Merlin Rocket 3521
Buell XB12R Firebolt
Landrover 110 Defender
And a big shed to keep them in...
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Thanks Simon......yes that could explain both sail number and keel winding gear location.....many thanks.
Sami.
Tommyv

Post by Tommyv »

Over the years there have been some very funny systems. One class started at 400/500 rather than 1, to suggest rapid growth.
Tom Vaughan
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Yes...this is true.....although I think Nimrods did start at #1 (sure I have a pic somewhere of #1)....but there may have been a gap if the class was re-invented somewhere along the way. #216 is now a bit cleaner than she was on arrival......roll on 2014 season :)
Sami.
nabbers

Post by nabbers »

Can't remember what number my Nimrod was, but I do remember the annoying habit it had of rainwater getting between the cockpit floor and the hull in a buoyancy space.

Lovely fast boat though, the keel pivots had a habit of shearing
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Tommyv wrote:Over the years there have been some very funny systems. One class started at 400/500 rather than 1, to suggest rapid growth.
Tom Vaughan
Contender - '147' a ridiculous number as only one or two had been built, at the IYRU trials.
Unit - No 2 is No7 or what?
Comet - Trio started at 300
RS 500 - started at 500..

its almost normal!!
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.