What kind of Moth is that?

an area to discuss dinghy developments
solentgal

Re: What kind of Moth is that?

Post by solentgal »

Hannibal?.....was this the proa design? Or was that something else?..... I remember reference (and a pic I think) of the proa, but don't know any more about it....can't remember any sliding seats though. Interesting.
Sami.
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Solentgirl .
No a wide moth with two short seats on curved tracks. Never heard about a proa sounds interesting.
Regards Al
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

Welcome Colin, I well remember the Wakehurst design, I wish I'd had one - I've still got a copy of your sales leaflet somewhere!

Wasn't there a later version called Supawake, Simon Allen sailed one at a Ruislip Lido open?

And I remember Martin Wheeler with his white Wakehurst at the 1979 nationals a Lymington.

IIRC Paul Dunlop built more than one boat called 'Hannibal Crossing the Alps', the one I remember was cold-moulded with a knuckle in the topsides and built-in wings about 6' across, finished like a grand piano, that was at the nationals at Mayflower in 1976. I think there's a photo in the 1977 yearbook if that's online.

Paul M
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Paul
The boat I remember was featured in the Pit Stop pages of Yachts and Yachting, they then went on in a later volume to have a more in depth feature. It must have been around 1967 as I brought the Y&Y in Arundel whilst at Scout camp. My friends and I raved on about this boat even though we were sailing Hornets. It was I think the radicalness that really appealed to us. The time being just before we rebelled against scouting, grew our hair, listened to progessive rock music and discovered girls. Which is how I can date it. As you say it was beautifully built and looked the bizz.
Martin Wheelers father was a Horneteer friend and rival. He unfortunately died after winning a Chariot race at the Hornet Nationals at Mayflower in the 70,s. Have n't seen Martin for years. But his Wakehurst was a pretty quick boat.
Cheers Al
PS looking through the handbooks I see my old Chelsea Morning as belonging to Paul Martin who I brought it from. I never did join the INt. Moth Assoc. to my shame dispite owning two of them.