1968 Classic Finn

an area to discuss dinghy developments
mdpeak

1968 Classic Finn

Post by mdpeak »

Hi,

I am going to be putting my boat up for sale in the very near future :( Its a classic Finn and built in 1968, sail number 314 believed to be a Fairey/Aveston design. I have spent a few months, blood, sweat and tears this winter giving her a full revamp (see attached album) - Just wondering what people think, whether they know anything about her and how much would she be worth? ....and if there is any interest out there!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
Although on facebook I have made the album public so all should be able to see!

Best wishes,

Mark :)
Rupert

Re: 1968 Classic Finn

Post by Rupert »

Looking good! I'm sure there will be interest, and I expect the Classic Finn guys can give you an idea on price.
Rupert
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Hi Mark

Nice to see you on here.

The last Fairey I sold went for about £750, but this was a earlier all varnished boat that was quite heavy, but could be made to go reasonably well. My Raudeschl went for considerably more, but had been heavily modified and was well sorted and quick, and had a load of kit as well (some pics at http://www.pegasus18.com/dinghies/index ... -floating/)

If you have a look over on the Classic Finn site's for sale page it should give you an idea of prices - http://classicfinn.org.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=13

It's worth letting Graham Brookes know the boat is for sale, he is the UK Finn Class President and posts on here and the Classic Finn site as Brookesy

regards

Neil
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
mdpeak

Post by mdpeak »

Thankyou Neil! ...And what an absolute stunning job you done on your Raudeschl!! Looks like an awful lot of elbow grease was used for that shine :shock:
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

like I put up on the Facebook page, if you want another classic Finn to sail against bring it down to Pwllheli!
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
mdpeak

Post by mdpeak »

I like the persistence :) Unfortunately though i only have a few more months back in Bangor then it's back home to sunny Suffolk and my rs300 I'm afraid!
ent228

Post by ent228 »

Interested to know why you added the carbon?
mdpeak

Post by mdpeak »

Hi,

I added the carbon matting because on the front between the 4 hatches and mast hole were numerous cracks and depressions (where I presume someone had lent on it) and also there was also a few big chunks which had been chipped out of the hatch holes.

I thought the carbon stripe was the only option if I wasn't to replace the entire front deck... sourced some high carbon grade matting from a local composites dealer and got cracking.

Completely under estimated how hard it would be to get a straight weave and edge along the whole profile but after lots of frustration seems to have came out well :D

Mark
mdpeak

Post by mdpeak »

ps. and was a very good excuse to play with some carbon :D
Obscured by clouds

I've been looking for someone reasonably local to source carbon from. Do you have a contact number/ website?
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
[down to 3!]
mdpeak

Post by mdpeak »

Tony,
Its AS-composites:
http://www.as-composites.co.uk/
Tel: 01473 327 510
Address: AS Composites, Unit 3, Stutton Lane, Tattingstone, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP9 2NZ
:)
Obscured by clouds

Ha absolutely not local to me then! :)
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
[down to 3!]