What class does this sail insignia belong to?

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Max McCarthy

What class does this sail insignia belong to?

Post by Max McCarthy »

Anyone recognise the sail insignia on this sail?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dinghy-mainsa ... 417c0552ff

I am just curious as to what it belongs to.....

Cheers,

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
simonf

Re: What class does this sail insignia belong to?

Post by simonf »

..is it not the original 'Sailboard' logo from the company of the same name...?

simonf

Post by ent228 »

yes, definitely the Logo of the German "Sailboard" company from the mid 80's
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Thanks, for that, I just didn't recognise it....

After all I know almost nothing about sailboards or windsurfers, for that matter!

Cheers,

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
ent228

Post by ent228 »

There is a lot of interest in D2 (Division 2) course racing boards at the moment in France, as a canoe sailor you might be interested long thin fast boats. I expect some here on the forum will have used them in the 80's.
LASERTOURIST

Post by LASERTOURIST »

It is the Sailboard logo, but as was common in the 80's whith boardsailing going just plain crazy, sailboard (a german maker, who had to pay the schweitzer license fee, unlike he 300+ french makers) made a range of boards (and rather good ones ) and not only just one board.

There was a standard sailboard (sort of longer and improved windsurfer with a wide nose and slim tail Cod head ann mackerel tail style), a Pan Am cup board (long funboard that grew a forest of footstraps) a strange looking Posrsche design Sailboard with a strange deck shape by the Porsche design studio (like the Carrera sunglasses) with an astronomic price tag (We had the same kind of silly thing in France with a board designd by André Courrèges , then a guru in fashion buisness) and possibly a short ./slalom /wave board....Sailboard marque was short lived anyway , and maybe some ofthe sailboard people later went into F2 and Fanatic, but i am not sure
LASERTOURIST

Post by LASERTOURIST »

I don't think sailboard lived long enough to go into th division 2 board racing.

Their standard sailboard certainly was class compliant in the original Division 2 with the 6,3 sq M sail but it was a poor performer against the round bottomed boat shaped unmanageable beasts i came to use in the middle 80's.
It started with the TORNADO, then the thing to get was the Mistral M1 , then the Lechners , then the CRIT D2 , then the hollow Dobelmann DB2 (I had one and it was fantastic on flat water but required an awful lot of skills in high winds and chop /waves) ...then came the Croconuts and other confidential D2 boards (with the upgraded 7,5 sail ) and then Division 2 collapsed and racing went on flatter "course racing" or race boards at the end of the 80's in the guiseof the Bic Bamba, Fanatic Ultra...(cat ???) and the Mistral equipe
ent228

Post by ent228 »

Have you had a look at the Open Division II face book page, some lovely cold moulded DII boards and quite a lot of activity. Perhaps something for the CVRDA to think about, there must be a few around in the UK. I came across a Lechner in a campsite in Devon last year...........
LASERTOURIST

Post by LASERTOURIST »

Same thing in france a revival is on a club and a circuit have been created ...3 years ago some chap turned up and bought my DobbelmannDB2 for just 150€ .

It had been gathering dust in my garage since 1990 (bought it for 7500 francs - 1000€ back in 1985 and collected quite a few chrome plated pots and other prizes like now hopelessly outmoded windsurfing gear ) ...makes you think !

Trouble with D2 was the Development class thing (a new winning wonder machine every 6 months, class rules and sails surfaces changed from 6,5 long boom to 7.5 shorter boom plus higher mast, straps allowed, mobile mast foot allowed...etc)

Finally I stuck to the laser that was value for money and boats traded second hand for a good chunk ofhe price of the brand new one plus plenty of tough competition and kept winsurfing as a big wind /waves no racing recreational sort of things only
dronskiuk

Post by dronskiuk »

LASERTOURIST wrote:Same thing in france a revival is on a club and a circuit have been created ...3 years ago some chap turned up and bought my DobbelmannDB2 for just 150€ .

It had been gathering dust in my garage since 1990 (bought it for 7500 francs - 1000€ back in 1985 and collected quite a few chrome plated pots and other prizes like now hopelessly outmoded windsurfing gear ) ...makes you think !

Trouble with D2 was the Development class thing (a new winning wonder machine every 6 months, class rules and sails surfaces changed from 6,5 long boom to 7.5 shorter boom plus higher mast, straps allowed, mobile mast foot allowed...etc)

Finally I stuck to the laser that was value for money and boats traded second hand for a good chunk ofhe price of the brand new one plus plenty of tough competition and kept winsurfing as a big wind /waves no racing recreational sort of things only
--------------------------------------------------

Sailboard had the 'Race' for Div 2 but the competitive one was the epoxy 'SB2'. I had a windsurfing shop through the '80s and we stocked a few Div2 early on...Typhoon Turbo, TC Win..Sailboard (Dr Binder) were the biggest selling brand in the UK through the early mid '80s. Accidentally fast was the Sailboard Start, hastily renamed the Sport after
Andy Biggs won the Div1 Nationals on one. The PanAm board was the Pinto..PanAms only lasted about 6 months in the fashion stakes but it was poor quality that eventually did for Sailboard...I had customers who had boards replaced several times and credit Sailboard (and Goran Nyman the importer) for honouring the warranties!

Fun days..but I too returned to dinghies :D
LASERTOURIST

Post by LASERTOURIST »

The brands that you quote (TC Win and the like) speak first part of the 80's to me , I saw them in magazines but started racing Division 2 in earnest in 84 , in the 2nd part of the 80's and i used later "marvels" that had been optimized for light flat water and had a very round , instable ,low wetted surface .

My first board was a second hand Crit 630 , it had been top notch in 1980, had a round hull in the bow but flatter tail sections , and in 1984 it was a slow back-number, I managed to out run a guy equipped with a then brand New Crit D2,and win the pot but only just, I was younger , fitter and could pump harder (Pumping was authorized under french rules , It cost Guillerot an olympic medal in Long Beach) ..and the girl at the comittee boat lent me an intermediary CRIT 650 board for the last and critical race (and we "deeply sympathized" after the prizegiving...).

It is difficult back now to imagine the kind of rocket and plummet kind of thing windsurfing was in France in the 80's, everybody invented a new board every 5 minutes , there were 300+ small or big firms manufacturing boards and exposing at the Paris boatshow (It was CNIT La Défense then)
The french federation was completely out of it's depth trying to organize the sport, sponsoring was going on big time, windsurfing was such a craze it was heavily used for TV commercials, inventors and tinkerers turned up with all sort of gadgets , some useful (the Wihbone / mast locking clip by Seabright) some stupid( the non flipping gybing sail by interwind, a crazy thing shaped like a zulu warrior shield, with a cross bar instead of wishbone).

I wrote a series of articles about this period for he french laser newsletter and could find no better title that LE VENT DE FOLIE (The wid of craze) and a subtitle saying that it was , of course creative folly...
And it is hard to believe that it has sunk to such depths as to be almost ruled out of the olympics 30 years after.
SIC TRANSIT GLORIA WINDSURFII could be the motto!