Jack Holt Panda-maran 13 ft kit cat

an area to discuss dinghy developments
dieharddinghysailor

Jack Holt Panda-maran 13 ft kit cat

Post by dieharddinghysailor »

Hi
Does anyone have any info on this class; designed in the 70's as a fund-raiser for the WWF (the sail insignia is the WWF Panda). I have just acquired one and need a construction manual to complete the build. Its been stored for years apparently and the sails are crisp and shiny! Sail no 174.
Has anyone sailed one, seen one, have any photos of one, know anyone that's built one, who might be able to help me build this.
Info on the web is scanty apart from a guy who sold one on ebay about a year ago.

And more to the point - is it any good, and worth the effort to complete it...?

Thanks in advance for your help

Mike Scott
Whidbey Island. WA. USA
roger

Re: Jack Holt Panda-maran 13 ft kit cat

Post by roger »

Sounds like a job for David H I am sure he will know something.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi
Your boat when built will be very similar to a Hobie 14 but handle better than one.
Cheers Al
davidh

Post by davidh »

Hi Mike,

WOW! I knew of these boats but was pretty sure that non remained. The news that you have found one is 'really' exciting for those of us that follow the paths of the classics. It is just two years since we were celebrating the centenary of the birth of Jack Holt and though I tried to hunt down some details on this, I drew a blank.

If you have any pictures I'd happily add them to the various 'stores' of Holt related info.

Without having found the 'smoking gun' about the cat, I can but surmise what happened: Jack had any diverse and exciting projects, but in the final analysis, cats weren't his thing!

Am just thinking aloud right now.... I did a series for a Magazine - it featured the 'Lost Classes' and I did one episode on the 'lost cats' - the Mazzotti Peanut was one that I looked at, then there was the Aqua Cat from the USA, this was another.

I'll keep digging here but you have something pretty much unique tere Mike.

I do know who would be interested: jack Holts daughter lives just to the North of you on Vancouver Island!

D
David H
dieharddinghysailor

Post by dieharddinghysailor »

Thanks for your help; seems most of the parts are there, so I'm just going ahead and figuring it out as I go. Will post pics in due course.

It's been like solving a Sherlock Holmes mystery and a lot of fun. Luckily I have a big warm workshop and no other immediate projects, so looking forward to the journey; haven't built a boat since building a Cole Moth in the 60's; having a pre-cut kit helps a lot, bit like 'Painting by numbers"....!!

Mike Scott

IC
Leader
Flying Junior
I-14