Is it?

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Michael4

Is it?

Post by Michael4 »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wooden-boat-C ... 2ecfc4e542

Did very early N12s have fittings for rowlocks?!?
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
jpa_wfsc

Re: Is it?

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Not a N12 - not with that bow, I don't think they ever had other than plumb bows?
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
LASERTOURIST

Post by LASERTOURIST »

I dont know anything about these clinker built oldies, but I remember renting a clinker built old fashioned dinghy ...on the Serpentine in Hyde park , London , back in the 70's...with gaudily coloured dacron sails ...

Does anybody remember those Serpentine rental boats and know what they were ...?

Another longtime memory is renting very early orange water scooters, with strange straight chromed handlebars in an amusement park with my parents (mid 60"s , place possibly Jersey) and realizing those contraptions were made by Vincent motorcycles and are nowdays rare collectible items...
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

EH Walker, the original Tideway builders, made boats for the the Serpentine...who knows?

As an aside, my mate Simon (now sadly long dead after a life of excellent debauchery of the highest quality) and I were watching the World Cup Final in 1966. After 5 minutes we found it incredibly boring and decide to go rowing on the Serpentine. When we came back after an hour's boat rental the match was still going on...
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
LASERTOURIST

Post by LASERTOURIST »

It is one more verification that Sailing (and mot of the times rowing) is Not a spectator sport, contrary to soccer...

As one of my friends used to say : Sport has much in common with love : better make it than watch other people making it...
Hotspur

Post by Hotspur »

This is in the For Sale forum identified as a Barnt Green One Design, a class that emerged at about the same time as the N12-precursor OUSC one-design. When the National 12 rules were published, it was found that with slight modification the Barnt Green boats would fit into the rule. So while not built as a N12, there's every likelihood that this boat was sailed in the class at some point. N12s 2 through 18 and 173 were of this design.
Visit my blog Naval Air History at navalairhistory.com
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Hotspur wrote:This is in the For Sale forum identified as a Barnt Green One Design, a class that emerged at about the same time as the N12-precursor OUSC one-design. When the National 12 rules were published, it was found that with slight modification the Barnt Green boats would fit into the rule. So while not built as a N12, there's every likelihood that this boat was sailed in the class at some point. N12s 2 through 18 and 173 were of this design.
While all the above is true I would disagree with the suggestion that this ebay boat is a Barnt Green one design.

It is for sale in Dartmouth, which seems an awfully long way from home, especially bearing in mind that Dartmouth in its day would have been a dinghy/boatbuilding centre. All of those boatyard apprentices and with every ship in port being in regular need of work boats and pinaces and the like.

The BGOD has a similar number of clinker strakes (10 each side) but that is where the similarities end.

The Centereboard is entirely different. The BGOD has a case designed for a straight lever arm on the plate whereas the Dartmouth boat has a curved arm to reach over the top of the casing.

The Thwarts of the BGOD have doubled Knees holding them in place against single knees on the Dartmouth boat.

The BGOD has a Thwrt stepped mast with a samson post beneath, as opposed to the keel stepped tabernacle in the Dartmouth boat.

The BGOD has no Half knee at its bow and at the transom the quarter knees are also quite different. In the Dartmouth boat these are built as an integral part of the inwhale.

The real difference is the massive rubbing strake on the Dartmouth boat attached to an equally massive Gunwhale. This feature marks it out as a workboat. Maybe a general purpose ships tender. Nice boat certainly, and probably a good deal more history in it (and provenance), but I doubht it is a N12.
Michael Brigg
Hotspur

Post by Hotspur »

Visit my blog Naval Air History at navalairhistory.com