OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nessa

Re: Here's that Moth.

Post by Nessa »

double floor, with raised floor forward of the traveller. Skol?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Yeah, looks very much like the skol to me. It is hard to tell from the pictures, but if I remember correctly, the Mk2 had a self draining bit in the transom, almost like a tube leading from the back edge of the cockpit to the middle of the transom. And as you are aware, (unless your skol has been modified beyond what I had thought it had when I had her) the Mk1 may (if it hasn't been modified to remove the doubel floor) not have the double floor. Although recent evidence suggests that she will probably have been modded (as in your Mk1 - to remove the double floor), as having recently looked at the 1969 moth yearbook, there were indeed three different skols all sold at what would appear to be the same time.

Mind you, with a closer inspection of the images, it would appear she does have self draining, so my money would be on her being a skol Mk2, like the one I had a go in at Whitefriars. In fact, if you have a look at the images on the gallery on this website, you will find some of that particular skol, and if you see picture 10, it will show you the same style of self draining as in the pictures of the moth you have posted.

On a side note - Nessa, how are you getting on with your current skol? If she has the same rudder she did when I had her, she will have heavier steering than the Mk2 I had a go in, but this might be to do with the heavily modified foils on your skol...ie the centreboard instead of a daggerboard, and large(ish) rudder.

Other than that, I hope you are enjoying her!

Hope this helps...

Cheers,

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
imptoo

Post by imptoo »

Anyone attempting a restoration of the Skol with the transom drain needs to pay close attention to that item. I briefly had one of these boats and unknown to me the tube separated from the hull. This in turn allowed water to quietly leak inside the compartmented hull unbeknownst to her dimwitted owner! I sailed out to the starting area one fine day and decided to practice a couple roll tacks/gybes just to warm up. The boat immediately flipped, which of course for a Skol isn't that unusual. But what was is this: each time I attempted to right the boat and clammer back into the cockpit she'd go into serial capsize mode and I'd be under the sail again. After numerous unsuccessful attempts I was ignobly towed back to the docks rather than delay the racing any futher. When it took two people to help me get the boat out of the water the penny dropped--she was full, and that's the reason I couldn't get back in--each time I righted her and started to pull myself into the cockpit all that secreted water would roll to the new low side. The Skol being round as an apple offered no resistance and over she'd go! Subsequent tests with soapy water and the wife's vacuum cleaner revealed the separated drain tube (at the joint where it passes through the transom) as the culprit.
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

mmm must check that then, as our Skol 'The Hopple' is showing signs of the hull filling up while sailing - but no sign of any leaks in the hull / deck join for example!

PS this red mean machine is certainly the same moulding as ' The Hopple'
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
angus

Post by angus »

Yes definately a skol mk11.
I can testify to the fact that Skolls become totally unsailable when they fill up with water, back in the early 70s WR SC were trying to adopt the Intrnational Moth as a class and had borrowed a skoll 3 from Rondar (that insidently was how I got my first shot in a Moth). The had a demonstration race inviting moths along and gave this Skol 3 to the leader of the opposition hoping no doubt to sway him. Unfortunately after a season getting battered by all and sundry finding out how dificult a Moth was to sail (compared to an Enterprise or 12 of the time) the boat had started to leak quite badly. He started off quite well but then he started to capsize and capsize with the gaps between capsizes getting closer. When he was eventually yanked from the water he was gently steaming. And West riding never adopted the Moth.
N2153, N2969, Merlin Rocket 3484, Mini Sprint