What on earth?

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Nessa

What on earth?

Post by Nessa »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/scull-dingy-s ... 5406ba8987

Some of the 'foils' look interesting. I love the way the sail has been displayed to its best advantage!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Re: What on earth?

Post by Rupert »

Must be near you Nessa - worth a 99p punt for the trolley!
Rupert
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

It's probably in Over, again just down the road. Good point about the trolley!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

The sad thing about this boat is that it is being sold as an "Unused" or unwanted object. "Brought for my daughter who found she had another thing more interesting to do..."

"... Has never been on the water."

So here is a parent with the willingness to make a significant investment in promoting sailing to his child, but sadly the whole thing has fallen on barren ground.

Why has it gone wrong? It has got me thinking... in the light of comments recently in other threads about classic dinghies being a cheap entry to the sport. It is surely all the more reason for developing the class within a club.

One design racing has its advantages, theoretically of "close fleet racing", but can all to easily be about a single expert leaving everyone in his wake. Dull, dull, dull. And besides, all of the bestmemories from sailing have very little to do with winning races.

From my own experience of daughters and at the risk of generalising, an important factor is that of what her friends are doing. It's not what you do but who you do it with.

Sailing has everything that should make it attractive to both sexes.

For the girls it gives them a sport where they don't have to put up with annoying boys hogging the ball if they don't want to.

For the boys its a sport where there is plentiful faffage and technical stuff that they can obsessabout. They can mess about or show off to eachother if they wish, and you can play with/have a girl crew if you want without being called a wuss.

Perhaps if this owner had approached a sailing club with well established set up for juniors this might have worked. Perhaps he didn't get the right sort of boat. A topper or a small two hander would have been good. Perhaps he didn't manage to get the advice of a local experienced sailor to advise on better choice of boat.

It is possible that she preferred a pony, but In my experience the start up thing that is really needed is involvement of the whole family.

Mum Dad and All the children have to get involved for the bug to really bite. It is not enough to just leave them at the gate, although sea scouts etc can be a reasonably effective introduction.

...but the answer at club level I think is to offer very low rates for families, even free if one is full member, especially in the first few years of membership, to help newbie families through the barrier of feeling like outsiders in a complicated activity. Club boats might help, although ownership, by the child of a boat they feel comfortable with is also of importance.

Now is the season for putting in the bedding plants. It is far more productive and better VFM if this is done by "sowing the seeds." We should attract NEW members to our clubs, not simply attract them from other clubs.
Michael Brigg
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Michael, if this boat is where I think it is it would have been welcomed with open arms at its nearest sailing club. That sailing club is the best in Eastern region in terms of numbers of youngsters sailing. By that I don't mean racing, though we're pretty hot at that too. After Easter every Thursday evening is dedicated to playing on the water games and other activities - but no racing - in whatever boat the child or parent chooses to bring along. If they don't have a boat they can hire a club oppie, topper or pico for £3.00 and they can join the club for £22. All junior activities are free except for formal courses.

We don't allow children to be left at the gate, and we encourage parents to join in and help with shore duties if they are non sailors.

I can't do much more to promote our club. If this chap didn't know we were there then perhaps he just wasn't looking?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Whitefriars is similar, and we get plenty of people new to sailing, or coming back to sailing from when the parents were kids. I hope this year will be fun for everyone, juniors, parents and instructors alike. There will be racing for the older ones - they insist on it - but the races are generally only 10 minutes long, and they are encouaged to cheat if not up with the group.
Rupert