Mast and boom ID

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Flounder

Mast and boom ID

Post by Flounder »

I just aquired a nice Proctor mast and boom, thinking it would fit our Mirror. It sort of does! Can anyone help identify it?

Mast - 3.8m - 50mm o/d internal uphaul for main and jib, no track or any other means to attach main.
Boom - 2.5m - 45mm o/d - various fittings which would nearly fit a Mirror.

Mirror Goose neck, plastic foot and top. Standing rigging similar to but too short for mirror.

Have to admit, I only bought it to cannibalise the goose neck and blocks for the Minisail but it is a really nice set of kit, so a shame to break up. It would be nice to know what it should fit.

Many thanks.
Rupert

Re: Mast and boom ID

Post by Rupert »

I don't know what you have bought, but if you don't want to break it up, I have a Mirror Gooseneck if you want to change from the Minisail rowlock method.

A picture might help on the ID front.
Rupert
Flounder

Post by Flounder »

Thanks Rupert. I can still go down the rowlock route with the Minisail, a job for the weekend. I might get creative with the GRP and fabricate a facsimile of the strange foot on its' boom. It is a substantial nylon "foot" an inch or so deep which wrapped less than halfway round the mast. A piccy on the Minisail forum suggests my boat is a Minisprint but without the seat. Integral outhaul and six cleats at the front of the cockpit. More cleats than string :?
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Cleats are for kicker, outhaul, cunningham, twinned to both sides.

If a Sprint, it will have a moulding for the seat cutting the boat in half. If you don't fancy a sliding seat, you could always put a fixed seat sticking out a foot or so each side?
Rupert
RonnyDG

Post by RonnyDG »

Not that it matters a lot but there were two Minisail variants called Minisprint.
The Sprint with a moulding for the seat cutting the boat in half is a Sprint MII, the GRP - cockpit (A Monaco really)- tracked boom Minisail was called a Sprint MI, often sailed with a bolted on fixed or sliding seat.
A Minisail identification guide here.
Greetings,
Ronny