Bumblebee Dinghy

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Ashley

Bumblebee Dinghy

Post by Ashley »

Hello all,

I was recently given a semi-restored Bumblebee Dinghy. I have finished refurbishing it but have no information on setting it up and sailing it. I have the spars and sail - it is a 'balanced lug' with a split lug-sail. Has anyone got any information on this type of dinghy? Any idea how old it is? I found http://www.cvrda.org/wp-cvrda/dinghydata/bumblebee/ on this site but that is the only reference I can find anywhere on the web.

Thanks for any help,
Ash.
roger

Re: Bumblebee Dinghy

Post by roger »

Looks like you have a rare boat, any pictures?
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
ent228

Post by ent228 »

I remember these from ages ago, looks like a nice little concept, in the same vein as the new junk rigs are being split to give more windward speed.

A slightly less sphisticated form of the swing rig for model yachts

There is one on Gumtree at the moment:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/boats-kayaks-j ... 1081412110

How do you get a picture off ebay or similar into a form you can put on a forum?
Ashley

Post by Ashley »

Maiden voyage went well :) I didn't take any pictures though. Will get some next time.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Jack Holt designed the Bumblebee for his grandchildren to be able to play in - sailing it seem fairly low on the list of priorities. Much of them time they just played in it! I have a picture of them on the old canal just behind Chichester YC at Birdham (the club where Jack saw out his days). One thing is for certain, your boat is rare, for not many were made. I wish you had been around 2 years ago when we had the Holt Centenary, for being able to 'show' the boat (even if you didn't join in the races) would have been a wonderful demonstration of just how wide his dinghies ranged. As far as I know, Bumblebee was also Jack's final design!

Well done for saving this little bit of history - a tribute to the great man!

Dougal
David H
Pat

Post by Pat »

If you've got any pictures we can have for the web site or any more info about it, please email me (button below) and I'll tell you how to get them to me. I've added David's info.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Ashley

Post by Ashley »

Put the Bumblebee back in the water, unfortunately there was no wind :(

Managed to take some pictures though.

Rupert

Post by Rupert »

She looks great!
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

"Oh what a glorious thing to be!" As Arther Askey might have put it.
Michael Brigg
Ashley

Post by Ashley »

I need to make or buy a cover for the Bumblebee. Anyone have any recommendations for a suitable fabric or cover manufacturer? Unfortunately I do not have anywhere undercover to store it atm, so it would have to be waterproof, UV resistant and, presumably, breathable.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I tend to use Sail Register, who make to measure in breathable materials at a decent price.

Longer than an Oppie, so no shortcut there, sadly.
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Surely this is small enough to store upside down. Get a small peice of Astroturf type fabric to lie next to the skin (will insulate against frost and allow air to circulate) and then a small well fastened tarpaulin or strong plastic sheeting) on top of that (or even wrap the boat in entirely.)

I have done this with my Wooden racing sculls using underfloor damp proof membrane. Open at the ends to let the air circulate, and cost just £20, enough to wrap 2 x 9m boats! :) (Cost of bespoke "Boat bag" £300+!)

Stored in a shady place so UV not a problem.
Michael Brigg
ent228

Post by ent228 »

Upside down is definitely best.

Also put it on some trestles at least 18" above the ground. Any lower and splash back from heavy rain will start the rot
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I guess it depends upon when you are talking about. For over winter I agree, but if you want to be able to simply wheel the boat to the water and go sailing (especially if you want a kid to do it) then the right way up on a trolley wins every time. The cover for that can then be used when the boat is upside down (like the astroturf idea) with a tarp acting as a separate roof with an air gap if possible.
Rupert
Ashley

Post by Ashley »

Some good pointers here, thanks. Will make some trestles and find some suitable cheap material. Will look at making a custom top cover too for next summer.