Anybody remember the Apollo Catamaran?

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Ed
Site Admin

Anybody remember the Apollo Catamaran?

Post by Ed »

After digging out my 1971 copy of the 'Boat World Guide to Dinghies', I had a quick flip through....as one does....

And saw the Apollo catamaran, an A-class cat designed by Neil Coster in GRP.

Never heard of this cat and wondered if anybody else knew or remembered anything about them.

Always interested in early A class designs as they all seem to have disappeared except for the odd old Unicorn. I know we have mentioned the Australis, but did any of those ever make it to the UK?

What other early A-class designs were there?

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
cweed

Re: Anybody remember the Apollo Catamaran?

Post by cweed »

Other derivities.............

The A Lion, Sealion (may be the same as the A Lion), The Unicorn, A Cat 11............... plus a few other Antipodean variants.

... as per Catamaran Racing, Reg White & Bob Fisher.
davidh

Post by davidh »

For a couple of seasons there was an Australis based at Weston (in the days before the Unicorn reigned supreme there) - it looked stunning and went very well. It might have suffered from a little bit of fragility, the problem was that back then, my attentions were diverted by other (single hulled) classes. But I remember looking at it and thinking....wow!

D
David H
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi I had the loan of an Australis for about half a season while it's owner was working in S.A. This was in Germany and the bloody thing was very difficult to sail compared to a Unicorn especially in the Short Baltic chop. Lack of buoyancy in the bow and stern meant that you had to be gunnel running just to keep it going.
Cheers Al
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

A friend of mine had an A class which I sailed a couple of times. I remember it as an Australis but it wasn't canoe sterner so perhaps it was an Apollo. What I do remember was that it was very light and as a result the top sides were too flexible to stay attached to the wooden decks very well so it was always twisting and leaking. I think probably the main reason the Unicorn dominated was that it was much better built.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash