Merlin Rocket 1775

an area to discuss dinghy developments
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

We have just gained possesion of this rather nice Merlin. We think she is a Mk IX, from about 1963 to 1966 (the former date is on one sail, the latter in some documentation with the boat). Is there a definitive list of Merlin types/dates against registration number somewhere?

It seems clear that she was Hoare built, and recently was re-decked. The new deck and hull exterior were epoxied and then varnished with something horribly expensive, nice to look at from a distance till you get close and see a lot of runs! 3 complete sets of sails, all from the 60's, 3 different sail makers - so I guess was someones serious campaign boat back then.

With a few hours work she will be sailing at Whitefriars quite soon, in very orriginal condition (no bow tank added, so what sort of rig tension will we get!)

Thats 6 boats now, 3 cvrda! Hmmm can we go on adding to our fleet? :D

john./
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Now all you have to do is convince Steve A that your handicap shouldn't be 1023...take documentary evidence in triplicate or you'll get nowhere!
Only 3 out of the 6? You're not trying hard enough - sell the newer ones and get more wrecks, please, its nice to have company!
Rupert
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

The nice people over on the MR site have told me she is indeed a Mk IX (not IX b, etc.) so comes with its own built in handicap (bad manners on a run!). Was built by Hoare and in 1965, named Scampy 1.

Jane does not like the orriginal name!

What PY would you suggest, Rupert? Did you have a scheme based on what PY's used to be in the 60's (factored for the change to 1000 as the base?) + 5%?? for age??

john./
j./

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Steve actively ignores anything I say on handicapping! (Don't blame him really - nothing worse than the previous incumbant interfering in your job!) Your best bet is to print out whatever you can find on the MR site concerning age handicapping and wave it in his face (you'll be able to reach, I can't!
Rupert
chris

Post by chris »

1775 is certainly down as a Bob Hoare ix, called scampy 1,
the 1975 and a much more recent year book still has her as owned by gf Babb,
The Merlin website has a good section on all the merlin design, wwwmerlinrocket.co.uk then find design guide.

The merlin association publish a list of reccomended PY handicaps for older merlins. Nos 1616-2164 would be an additional 50 on top of 1024.
You'll have to argue your case, though, these are not 'Official' Portsmoauth numbers. These are what the vintage merlins (occasionally) sail with.

See cvrda handicaps for what you would sail under on CVRDA events on this website.

I also recomend joining in the vintage merlin events. Good fun, good racing without being too serious. Mostly arround the Thames, Banbury, Oxford region.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Chris - I have to point out that our boats have all suddenly go faster - the starting point for Merlins is now 1021!!! So whatever you were you have to knock 3 off

http://www.merlinrocket.co.uk/technical/handicaps.htm

Sorry about that!!!
chris

Post by chris »

yes you are quite right,
Fortunately our sailing sec hasn't noticed though.
Pat

Post by Pat »

The Lark PY was different in 2003 and he still hasn't noticed!! Not that 1 makes much difference to us!
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

The Merlin design guide has me to believe I have a boat with a "reputation" to be difficult to sail, and the library there has the designer himself pointing out its unstable downwind characteristics.

SO...

If i _said_ to the sailing sec that I had "just developed" this new class called a rocket-merlin (what else do you call a nice boat with HUGE foils and a pair of small rigid sails?) and told him the manufacturer's suggested handicap was 1999, he would have to go with that. (Its what RS, Laser etc etc do anyhow). If I chose to then "sail" my new boat inverted... there is no rule against that?

HeHe!!

(Well, its about as fair as always being beaten by modern boats with creatively set manufacturer's handicaps!)

More serioulsy, thank you all for the information, much appreciated.

john./
j./

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
chris

Post by chris »

Some, apparently, suggested that the mark ix was difficult to sail to put others off this particular design as it was proved to be such a winner and therefore keep the winning edge to themselves.

I don't think many would still say it's any more difficult than mast merlin designs, but then it's note a boat for family picnics either.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

"(Well, its about as fair as always being beaten by modern boats with creatively set manufacturer's handicaps!)"

The inability of the new boats to go straight down wind with their big jibs set on bowsprits usually makes up for any creativity on the part of the manufacturer!
I shall watch with interest the 1st time you bear away in a breeze, though...
Rupert