Who is this?

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Michael4

Who is this?

Post by Michael4 »

Another 'memory lane' post, while it is too cold to varnish I have time to scan old negs.

Who is the chap in the coat judging the Firefly fleet turnout at Charterhouse school in the mid '60s? I think he may be one of the early dinghy 'greats'.

ImageFirefly113 by dralowid, on Flickr

If I remember rightly this happened every year before the boats (Fireflys and Cadets) were taken down to Frensham Ponds stacked in the back of an old army Bedford.

Blazer and white plimsolls. Correct attire of course.

ImageFirefly109 by dralowid, on Flickr

The table with silverware to be awarded is in the background.

ImageFirefly108 by dralowid, on Flickr

Michael
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
clibb

Re: Who is this?

Post by clibb »

Charterhouse still have six Fireflys at Frensham, used for team racing. They changed to 420's a few years ago, but swiftly changed back after a year or so.

Nick
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

When posting these pics I realised just how nice a 'diagonal' Firefly can be but know nothing about the few different versions. Are these with the rope lifting handles Mark I?
Tideway 206
11+
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Yes, the mk 1 has the sweeping decks, breakwater and optional rope handles. The mk 2 has the narrow laminated side decks, and the mk 3 narrow plywood. The mk 1a is the mk 1 but with the curve cut back to the deck beams to create a little more space for the crew. The mk 4 is based on the Rondar boat, but without the stern tank. There have also been several glass boat layouts.
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

These being Fireflies in the low 100's sail numbers may well have had the "early" Mark1 layout with the shroud position some 6" further forward.

The Reynolds mast at that time was an un-tapered, round, straight extrusion, with a luff groove riveted on. The wooden topmast was retro fitted in many oats after the Olympics. This was done as a free "upgrade" so consequently I have never seen any originals. Does any one (or has anyone) ever seen an original?

I recall seeing a picture perhaps on a thread on here of the original and subsequent shroud set up on the same boat. I shall have a browse and see if I can find the posting.
Michael Brigg
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I've seen a straight mast like the lower part of the normal Reynolds but full length. Didn't know there was yet another mast used.

Working on F7 was interesting. The side tanks had been lengthened forwards as they were shorter on early boats, but I didn't see any evidence of the shrouds being different. The decks weren't original, though, so easily enough hidden.
Rupert
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

ImageFirefly112 by dralowid, on Flickr

Mast pic from the same occasion...looks all alloy to me
Tideway 206
11+
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Topmasts were often painted silver. Looks tapered to me.

Fantastic pictures.
Rupert
chris

Post by chris »

also looks like a solid top as the halyard seems to go up the front, through a sheave and down the back.