Tufnol Blocks

an area to discuss dinghy developments
cweed

Tufnol Blocks

Post by cweed »

Would anyone hazard a guess as to when Tufnol mainsheet blocks were superceded by either the large hooded plastic or the wire cage large diameter wheel blocks?

For aesthetic reasons, woiuld you fit tufnol to a pre '65 dinghy, or just go with the more efficient option?
JimC

Re: Tufnol Blocks

Post by JimC »

cweed wrote:Would anyone hazard a guess as to when Tufnol mainsheet blocks were superceded by either the large hooded plastic or the wire cage large diameter wheel blocks?

For aesthetic reasons, would you fit tufnol to a pre '65 dinghy, or just go with the more efficient option?
Tufnol was pretty rare at a serious racing club when I started dinghy sailing around 1972,and my father built a Gull from a kit around 1970 which came with all stainless fittings. Holt Allen kicked off about 1956 according to Allen's website, but they don't helpfully tell us when they started making stainless steel mainsheet blocks, but they weren't cage or hooded plastic, those weren't first generation. My *guess* is that new boats would have started with simple stainless blocks from the early 60s, so a 1950s boat would be Tufnol, but a 1965 boat would be stainless.
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I have tufnol cleats on my Finn which was built either late 50s or early 60s and measured in 63. I've kept them because I like them and I can keep them reasonably efficient by cleaning them and sharpening the jaws.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

For aesthetic reasons, would you fit tufnol to a pre '65 dinghy
If I can find them.....they fit.....and they work OK, then yes I certainly would.

What is a more interesting question is when was tufnol introduced.

I have had 1940s and early 50s boats where fittings were all a mixture of aluminium/wood/galvanised/gun. All of which were horrible and as a rule replaced with tufnol as new fittings really wouldn't look right, but tufnol looks ok

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

There are a lot of Tufnol blocks in our club workshop. If anyone needs some. I also have a Tufnol mainsheet jammer complete with old style ratchet.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
cweed

Post by cweed »

Nessa,

I might take you up on that when I've sorted through my own stock, but only probably for two mainsheet blocks off the boom, one of which will need a becket, I've got a great large wheel floor mounted block with cam cleats to complete the system!

Thanks.
roger

Post by roger »

My 53 Hornet has tuffnol mainsheet blocks but horrible aluminium cleats which jam up and no matter how many times I clean them never seem to work very well. I am loath to take them off as they are part of a very original boat.
The only bits that dont fit are two black plastic/nylon fairleads for the jib. I have some alternatives that will look better but the bolts are so corroded and I havent got round to taking them off yet.

They are the one bit of updateing on the boat.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353