Hamble Stars

an area to discuss dinghy developments
davidh

Hamble Stars

Post by davidh »

Am just about to set out on a couple of articles about the Hamble Star.

If anyone has any Star related stories, send them on!

Cheers

D
David H
Rupert

Re: Hamble Stars

Post by Rupert »

Glad its happening, David.
Rupert
Bill-Conner

Post by Bill-Conner »

Isn't there still a class at Gravesend or that end of the Thames?
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

Be nice to see something on the Hoylake Opera's
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Recently sold on Ebay but I think it wasn't the first attempt.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-WOODE ... true&rt=nc
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
davidh

Post by davidh »

With regard to the Hoylake Operas - I was working my way around the UK coastline, doing a monthly feature on the One Designs that you can find in your travels. It should not come as any surprise that there is no shortage of material charting not only the boats, but the social factors that helped bring them into being (such as one boat that had to be built for 'less than £35' - you got a half a crown change!!). Although the series was very popular with many 'older' readers the editorial team thought it to be too parochial - and pulled the plug. It was a shame, on my list were Falcons up on the Mersey, the Wivenhoe, Opera, Dolphin and many others.

The difficulty now is that there just is nothing in the way of a media appetite for further articles like this; an exception is the Hamble Star, which are celebrating their 90th anniversary and have people who can provide the material and, well, having grown up on the Hamble, I've an interest in the boat which might just push me forward to get an article squeezed onto the pages.

And therein rests the issue - if someone comes to me with a worthwhile story, I'm always happy to follow it up. I'm not the issue though, for I have to have something that I can take to the Editor and say "we should run with this 'because'......."

D
David H
Mike Bridgwater

Post by Mike Bridgwater »

There's quite a few at Erith YC on the Thames.
Osprey 231
Mirror 931
Mustard Seed Merlin (awaiting new deck)
IC K89
dronskiuk

Post by dronskiuk »

My first ever race was in a Hamble Star...number 97 owned by 83 year old 'Pop' Ward. Little Jib was ok for a 9 year old but recall more about bailing as the topsides, in particular, leaked frighteningly! There were self bailers but this was mostly with a glorified gavanised frying pan! My sister was his regular crew but I hung around all the time hoping for crews not to turn up.

Quite a few raced at the time...probably 10+ - Peggy Lewis was the one to beat I recall.
plankerjim

Post by plankerjim »

In the late 50's early 60's Colonel Wingate had a Hamble Star on a mooring opposite our houseboat on the Adur at Shoreham- by Sea. He let me look after it and at the tender age of 9 or 10 let me sail it on my own. Mad , but you learn quickly when you have to return someone else's boat on a tidal river. It was a heavy old boat but once I got used to it the rig was quite manageable. Happy memories.
davidh

Post by davidh »

For any of you with an passing (or deeper) interest in the Hamble Stars, the article is now out in print in this month's edition of 'All at Sea'. You never know how these things are going to be received, but the feedback from the Thames Estuary was really good - suffice to say that all the copies of AAS up there have gone!

What I will try to do is to scan the page and then once it is no longer the current AaS issue, will post it up. It does highlight the random nature of topic selection - the Hamble Star feature had 'good story' written all over it -whilst other, seemingly better stories end up on the cutting room floor.

But - if you have an interest in the Hamble Star (Andrew Dron maybe?) then get a copy, or I'll get a copy, rip out the offending page and mail it on - or wait until I can post it on line.

In the meantime, if there are other stories that have that 'copy appeal' (don't ask what that is for you only know it when you see it) please feel free to run it by me. It was Rupert who got the first contact from the Stars and aimed them in my direction (thanks R) - there is always room for another salty sea storty.

D
David H