Albacore ident

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Mr. Ben

Albacore ident

Post by Mr. Ben »

I've been offered what is apparently a Youngs Alby sail no.5813. I say apparently because it's a GRP boat with wood decks. But it has a Youngs builders plate. I didn't think Youngs built any plastic Albacores. Can anyone enlighten me? If they did then I'm assuming, as it's numbered in the 5XXX range, that it's built to the later Young hull shape rather than the Fairey shape used for the earlier Youngs.

Lastly, can anyone narrow down the age? What year was it likely built in?

Thanks
Mr. Ben
RYA Training Principal- Thames Sailing Club
Merlin Rocket Star 1842 'Emmeline'
JimC

Re: Albacore ident

Post by JimC »

http://registry.albacore.org/table?fiel ... alue_1=All says 5821 was 1974

Its not unknown for wood boat builders to buy in plastic shells from another company and deck them in wood themselves, so I don't think you can draw any conclusions about shape from what their wood boats were.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Used to race against a composite Youngs Albacore. Crewed it a few times. Lovely boat.
Rupert
Pat

Post by Pat »

The shape of the inside moulding is usually builder specific especially the tank shapes at the rear, so post a couple of photos on the Albacore forum and someone will know. 5198 is a 1973 Fosrite which some knock as going soft, but ours is great. The tanks run right back and taper a bit.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
sam mason

Post by sam mason »

It would have been built in 1975 and almost certainly from a Fosrite hull. Lots of builders used the "Fozzy" hull at that time Bacon, Knight and Pink Linton and Young to name but a few.
Sam
sam mason

Post by sam mason »

1973 would be right . I've only just read my own post!!