What Moth?

an area to discuss dinghy developments
dronskiuk

What Moth?

Post by dronskiuk »

https://www.flickr.com/cameraroll

Another question...hoping I can add photos as it's not worked before!

What design is this please?
bornagainmothie

Re: What Moth?

Post by bornagainmothie »

Would like to help but can't see the photo without a Yahoo account. You can post a small version on here.
JimC

Post by JimC »

Unfortunately its a generic flickr link, not a link to your photos -it points me at mine! I've never really got on with flickr that well, but what you have to do is "share" what you want us to be able to see. If you're using a desktop client there should be a fat curved arrow labelled share at the bottom of the screen. Select the pics you want and hit the arrow and you should be get an indvidual url for your stuff which might look something like this: https://www.flickr.com/photos/56735928@ ... res/HAf8bE. Might be better to put them in a flickr album and share that I think.
dronskiuk

Post by dronskiuk »

Thanks very much for trying- have tried my luck on the Facebook page and am told I have a Skol Mk1....which is looking for a home with someone lighter and more agile than I!

£120 anyone...complete, could be sailed today - watertight, Banks original sail (K2976) and a Dolphin...foils good, hull scruffy but usable :-) cockpit canvas cover (!) - can probably find a launching trolley...
JimC

Post by JimC »

That would be a very rare bird indeed: from what I can make out the only Skol Mk 1s were some prototypes, and the production boats were two specifications of Mk 2 followed by the Mk 3.
dronskiuk

Post by dronskiuk »

Thanks again Jim, one person said Mk1 - it could, I guess, easily be one of the others as it almost certainly would be a production model. Can you see Facebook? Maybe, with your permission I could pm you some pics?
JimC

Post by JimC »

No, I don't do facebook.

From what I can make out there seem to have been 4 Skols.

Mk 1 may have just been 3 prototypes, which look as if they had unstayed masts and a fair gunwale line.

The majority seem to be Mk 2s
The 1969 Moth yearbook said production was planned for two versions, a SL and regate version. The SL was to have a daggerboard and to be lighter. The yearbook also says an unstayed mast. I think in practice many were built with stayed rigs. They seem to have had false floors and stern tanks, at least some with drains through the stern tank. The actual production detail may have varied, but believe all had the uneven gunwhale line with the sort of winglet affair, and they all have that narrow rounded stern.

Mine started life as a Skol Mk 3. She has a fair gunwale line, an open stern and a deck stepped mast. The stern section is much flatter with a firmer turn of the bilge, but the rest of the original hull shape is gone. The Mk 3 has an open stern with an alloy beam across for the rudder
dronskiuk

Post by dronskiuk »

JimC wrote:No, I don't do facebook.

From what I can make out there seem to have been 4 Skols.

Mk 1 may have just been 3 prototypes, which look as if they had unstayed masts and a fair gunwale line.

The majority seem to be Mk 2s
The 1969 Moth yearbook said production was planned for two versions, a SL and regate version. The SL was to have a daggerboard and to be lighter. The yearbook also says an unstayed mast. I think in practice many were built with stayed rigs. They seem to have had false floors and stern tanks, at least some with drains through the stern tank. The actual production detail may have varied, but believe all had the uneven gunwhale line with the sort of winglet affair, and they all have that narrow rounded stern.

Mine started life as a Skol Mk 3. She has a fair gunwale line, an open stern and a deck stepped mast. The stern section is much flatter with a firmer turn of the bilge, but the rest of the original hull shape is gone. The Mk 3 has an open stern with an alloy beam across for the rudder
Interesting, hadn't realised there were variations on that scale from the production boats, thank you.

Mine has the daggerboard and stayed rig, the drain through the stern tank is there although the self-bailers have been blanked off a little crudely but watertightly. The gunwale line is as you describe...sort of a winglet so that's what it is....! :-)
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

dronskiuk wrote:Thanks very much for trying- have tried my luck on the Facebook page and am told I have a Skol Mk1....which is looking for a home with someone lighter and more agile than I!

£120 anyone...complete, could be sailed today - watertight, Banks original sail (K2976) and a Dolphin...foils good, hull scruffy but usable :-) cockpit canvas cover (!) - can probably find a launching trolley...
I would love this boat dronskiuk...

It'd be a great boat for university, I think....

I will send you a PM.

Cheers,

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337