Is this the Welsh variant of the Finn?

an area to discuss dinghy developments
phil58490

Is this the Welsh variant of the Finn?

Post by phil58490 »

Saw this on the bay, two sets of rowlocks and a dagger board case but described as a Finn! Must be an early prototype version what else could it be?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331707053223? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
PeterV

Re: Is this the Welsh variant of the Finn?

Post by PeterV »

This was for sale before, for a considerable price by Keith Bond. It is a Fairey Finn, heavily modified and it would take a lot of work to get it back into class again.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

at least it's now offered at a price comensurate with the work needed to bring it back to class legal.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Something about this boat cries out to be rigged up in the manner of a Penultimate i14! Perhaps it is the powerful, low slung lines that are so much on show without being hidden under all the decking of a Finn. You cant hide the quality of a design that has been an Olympic blue ribband for over 1/2 a century.

I dare say if hybridised with a '14 rig, a trapeze, and sailed as a two handed open dinghy, it might not be the most practicable craft, and serious issues of bouyancy need sorting.

...and for the time and effort it might only be a bit cheaper than getting it back in class, but the hull looks to be in great condition and there can't be many of these Fairy finns left in any kind of condition.

Whichever way she goes she will be a head turner. Would even look good as a river launch at Henley with little more than spit and polish. while waiting for the renovation.

I am tempted, but have to be good and concentrate on what I've got. Nevertheless I will be jealous of whoever gets her!
Michael Brigg
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I was picturing a 14 rig from the lugsail days in Norfolk!
Rupert