what's this???

an area to discuss dinghy developments
davidh

Re: what's this???

Post by davidh »

The other 'dead give-away' is the transom!

There is no way that that is a transom from a merlin rocket with a 4 digit sail number. Even the latter Holts had much flatter aft sections. It is part of the narrative of the class just how quickly the hull shapes did change - of course, splicing in the DNA of the more sea orientated Rockets played a part there.

I'll be talking about some 'sexy derriere's' on Saturday afternoon at the Show so if you like a shapely rear end, well, there will be some on display then. You'll even see some of the more shapely (steady now|!!) personalities from the CVRDA who either wittingly or sneakily have contributed to the presentation material! Sadly I am now NOT doing the talk on the Sunday in the RYA lounge as once again dinghy cruising is relegating the talk to the cutting room floor. If you're not at the Show, then a version of the talk is now available for club evenings - starting with Warsash later this month, then either Ranelagh, Hampton or Tamesis in the Autumn.

Any comments that I have an unhealthy interest in rear ends...guilty as charged!

Hope to see you Saturday

D
David H
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

davidh wrote:The other 'dead give-away' is the transom!

I'll be talking about some 'sexy derriere's' on Saturday afternoon at the Show so if you like a shapely rear end, well, there will be some on display then. You'll even see some of the more shapely (steady now|!!) personalities from the CVRDA who either wittingly or sneakily have contributed to the presentation material!

...Any comments that I have an unhealthy interest in rear ends...guilty as charged!

Hope to see you Saturday

D
Phwoarrr! It's another opportunity to bring up Ed's favourite word out of his philavery...

It's all about Callipygian! :shock: :? :lol:
Michael Brigg
davidh

Post by davidh »

Michael,

Thank you for a memory that gave me a bright start to the day!

Many yonks ago, (as a young Fireball crew in the very early 1970s) I got to read Catch 22 for the first time. At one point, Yosssarian refers to one of his paramours as having a 'callipigious' backside. The word had me puzzled, the dictionary at work went from calliper to callisthenic. In the end I had to call into the Reference Section of the Central Library in Southampton to get my answer!

Early days of performance racing, early days of not being beaten in the pursuit of an answer in research terms.

Sadly, these days, one can't use such the wonderfully rich choice of words that are available....I recently got asked to remove the term 'prehensile' from an article!

D
David H
ian60

Post by ian60 »

I had N1952 'Porky' which had an alloy plate. When did 12s move from steel to alloy?

NB. I've got on old steel N12 plate if anybody wants one for weightlifting practice.