URGENT; Help needed

an area to discuss dinghy developments
davidh

URGENT; Help needed

Post by davidh »

Hi all (but a special hi to Alan W)

For those of you who will be at the Dinghy Show, I'm back on the lunchtime slot with a history related topic. I'm doing 'Trials and Tribulations' - who the process of holding Trials influenced the development of the performance dinghy. For those who are interested (or just looking to sit down for 30 minutes and rest weary feet) I've got some interesting insights into the development of the Hornet, 505 (I'll even be mentioning the Jollyboat), Unit, ToY and Contender.

I was going to make reference out to the Isle of Sheppy Cat Trials but am drawing a blank on some of the important detail. If I can fill in some of the gaps, I'll make reference to the Sheppy Tials, if not, will just stick to the monohull story.

What I need is:

Any picture of Austral/ Australis (the winning A Class) and/or

Any other pictures from the A class Trials - Sealion or any other

An early picture of a Unicorn

A picture showing how the Unicorn hulls were constructed using tortured ply (ages before the Moths picked up on the idea)

Anything showing any of the B class entries - in particular the wing sail Tornado, Manta or the Australia.

If anyone has a copy of the Bob Fisher/Reg White book and can see if there any pictures in there that can be scanned (and if you have a scanner too...) i'm in touch with Bob and the folks up at White's BUT - If I'm going to even mention multihulls, I need some pictures fairly quickly.

If there is anyone out there who can help I'll be able to meet you after the talk 'under the organ' in the main hall. I normally head for there so that Sandy can buy me a beer!

Thanks to you all

Dougal
David H
Pat

Re: URGENT; Help needed

Post by Pat »

Have you asked Dave Chivers?
See you and anyone else there on the Saturday in the ale bar at the opposite end to the organ after Dougal's talk.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I have the book and the scanner, David. I'll go dig it out.
Rupert
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Ok, I've scanned pictures from Catamaran Racing and Catamaran Sailing to Win, the Australian book.

Did them at 300dpi, but they are small grey scale pics from old books. I have Tornado 1, the sloop, with wing masted Ronton Pointer and B Lion behind. No shot of wing masted Tornado, sad to say. Also Mehitabel, the Aussie entry that came second, and one of the BLion, but not from the trials.

Of the A class, Unicorn, as original. A-CatII, as the Australis was at the trials, one of an early Australis in Australia and a capsized one showing the canoe stern nicely.

Suspect I have your email address if you want them, unless it has changed recently?
Rupert
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Sent to hotmail account.
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Many thanks to Rupert who hasn't just saved the day, has come up with a couple of pictures that will change the shape of the talk!

If anyone else has any info out there then...yes please

D
David H
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Dave have the Bob Fisher book. I was in contact with the designer of Flying Fox C class until he died. He sent me a lot of info on the Flying cat series also have some pictures of the Cougar and Cheeta cats somewere. I have a set of Shearwater 4 sails in the loft. There are some good photos of the stressed ply method of building in the Flying Cat stuff that I have. I don't have a scanner but could either post you photocopies of the originals or the originals if you return them to me.
Hope all goes well I'm not aloud to go to the Dinghy Show any more as it's the weekend of She Who Must Be Obeyed's birthday.
Have good one.
Alan