Info on Sailfish 12 please

an area to discuss dinghy developments
chris

Info on Sailfish 12 please

Post by chris »

Hi,
I am trying to find information on the sailfish 12!
a rare dinghy but I can't find anything at all!
I hope you may be able to point me in the direction of someone who can
help.

Nick
LASERTOURIST

Re: Info on Sailfish 12 please

Post by LASERTOURIST »

If it is the US sailfish, it is the ancestor of the much more frequent sunfish .
Original sailfish had the same kind of latten rig , no cockpit at all and a plywood hull..derived from a..surfboard.
To be precise the guys behind the Sailfish and sunfish (Alex Bryant and Cortland Heyniger, hence the buiders name ALCORT,later sold to AMF , the big daddy of US sports goods, a concern that at some point owned Harley Davidson , Head skis and Tennis rackets and AerMacchi motorcycles) initially tried to enter an official competition for a rescuing surfboard (australian lifeguard style)...when their hollow plywood board was rejected they added a centreboar , a rudder and a canoe latteen sail and marketed it in kit form or as a complete boat...and it went viral as the flat hull was quite fast on a beam reach plane
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

This any help, a very glamorous boat!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
LASERTOURIST

Post by LASERTOURIST »

Not the same Sailfish, obviously

I knewabout this one :https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailfish_(sailboat)

so it is anotther sailfish...a round bilge fiberglass dinghy...that is confusing indeed !
LASERTOURIST

Post by LASERTOURIST »

and this one must be the sailfish (british made ?) referred to inthe old ad

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sailfish-Sail ... 7675.l2557

Some name copyright issues here (But was the american flat boat ever imported in Europe ? The sunfish certainly was , french Sci-Fi writer Jacques Sternberg proudly owned one and i saw quite a few of them in France)...

The british certainly copied the sunfish (il was called the beachcomber, with an oversized bra as a sail logo...) but the US sailfish dosent seems to have really crossed the Atlantic