Finn

an area to discuss dinghy developments
pegasus

Post by pegasus »

On most finn's i have noticed a strange thing, why do you need to have a piece of elastic running from the bow of the boat around the mast and then along the boom?
Why would you need this and also how far back along the boom does it need to attached? Thanks greg
Pegasus 166(The Darkside) SOLD
Cherub 2646 Madge
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

It is used in some single sail boats to hold the boom forward on light wind runs, so you can still heal the boat to windward without it falling on your head. In boats I've seen it has been attached to the kicker sort of area.
Rupert
nick clibborn

Post by nick clibborn »

This is 'booming out' shockcord. It is used on Solos and OK's, as well as Finns, and the purpose is to help hold the boom out on a run in lighter airs. This will enable the helm to heel the boat to windward more securely, and thereby bring the centre of effort of the sail more over the boat. Usually the takeoff point is either the kicker fixing on the boom, or the forward mainsheet fixing, depending on whether the class has shrouds, and the shockcord is then run to the bow, through a block, and back to the original takeoff point. Interestingly, in the Solo rules, it used to say, maybe still does, that twin shockcords are permitted, not one running through a block. This would defeat the object somewhat.

Regards

Nick Clibborn
pegasus

Post by pegasus »

wow guys that is a very speedy reply thanks for that hope to be taking her to the nats this year as well as the pegg we will see!
Greg
Cherub 2646 Madge
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

If your Finn is almost ready why not bring it along to Roadford one weekend we are not far from you, there are now Three finns sailing here.I am also intending to do the Nationals as is Alan Harris from Fowey. It would help you to come along and have a tune up sesion give me a call if you need a hand.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
pegasus

Post by pegasus »

yer deffinatly i will come along for a weekend i would imagaine as i also have a membership to use there! Put my masty up today and have found the collar is only sitting in half of the deck ring so am having to move that then its just a case of fitting a couple of bits and doing the fixings to the boom.
Cherub 2646 Madge