YW Dayboat

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Trevor C

Post by Trevor C »

Any views on these? I have been thinking about something clinker that is not too tippy for crusing purposes. I know these are not fast but thought they may be a bit heavy? Anybody sailed one?
Uffa Fox Jolly Boat - J9
Mirror - 34359
Hornet - K140

Please see http://www.justgiving.com/160miles for my charity ride to Paris in May
stotty

Post by stotty »

know where there is one of these not sure of condition but had some broken frames/formers(excuse lack of correct nomenclature!)
its near kidderminster last price was about 150 inc trailer i think
tony s
Mirror, GP14(x2), Seadog, Blandford Nymph, and Pegasus awaiting complete rebuild!
davidh

Post by davidh »

Trevor,

THey are still around though they can get very demanding in terms of maintenance. And, as you surmised, weight is a problem, they do carry a few extra kilos. Although these things are all relative they are slow, at times dreadfully so. The all round boat that does it all has to be the wayfarer - you can cruise, race (now there is a generous Handicap) and - to cap it all, give you a fun sail. If the Wayfarer is too big, how aboutthe Wanderer?

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

YW dayboats are probebly best being kept on a mooring...My father (just 70) crews one with a similarly aged helm (I believe) down at Newton Ferrers in Devon, They are the lightweight boat there, though, racing against Devon Yawls!They do well in the lighter stuff, but loose out when the waves come up. The Dayboat weighs in at about 400lbs, the Yawl at about 800. Roger always has something top say on the subject of Dayboats!
Wayfarers are good, but I've never been convinced by the Wanderer. They seem to broach very easily.
Rupert
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Handicap bandit great for pot hunters nice for pottering but v.heavy ,last for ever.
al
Pat

Post by Pat »

Day barges are a rude word at Shearwater where we've got at least three and they keep winning on their awful handicap. Paul Athey has changed to a Grad this year and may be at Baltic Wharf, he'd give you the low-down.

They can make a bit of speed in the right hands. We've a young ex DB National Champion who had the dayboat on the plane last month in a good wind. (He helmed the winning Albacore on the CVRDA Saturday at Shearwater too)

I'm not sure about the buoyancy - it seems rather like John and Lynn's at Clywedog - only the deck was above water after a capsize when I was OOD and that owner was also seen in a Hamlet moment - sitting dripping on his inverted hull, smoking a cigar and awaiting the rescue boat!
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

The dinghy I would love to own is an RNSA 14ft the forerunner of the Bosun. When the Bosun was adopted as the training dinghy for the Navy the RNSA was scrapped - about 700 went to the funeral pyre I believe and very few survived. There is one which makes an appearance at Portsoy traditional boat festival every year and I do confess to breaking the "Thou shalt not covet" commandment (although only oxes and asses and NOT RNSA dingies are mentioned). It looks lovely on the water and has a really tubby shape (a bit like Gannet actually!!)
keithr

Post by keithr »

Pat

You see it's not the boat its the fellow on the stick that is the one to watch. Yes that guy in the Albacore was good , very good !!!.

It didnt matter which way I went he was either just in front or luffing me up!!!!

Keith R
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
Pat

Post by Pat »

He's pretty handy on a Sonata too! At least he leads from the front - it's the ones that win from the back we hate!
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
roger

Post by roger »

Having sailed one several times they are a very comfortable and responsive boat and a great day sailer.

I think on open water they probably sail true to the 1200 PY number but at shearwater the Daybarges are renowned for their Bandit handicap.

Keith will tell you they are very good at coming off towbars and careering dangerously close to vintage Merlins and ICs before parking themselves neatly on the beach. :D

ps
I think the Rayburn comes as standard and the crews main job is making the tea. Lets face it with that metal centreplate theres not much need to sit out.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
nick

Post by nick »

When I was at HMS Worcester, the training ship at Greenhithe, we had four RNSA 14's, one for each division. They were pigs. Sorry to say it, but they were. The only saving grace was they were undecked, so had plenty of room. The things we do - I broke my leg one term, and had a plaster from ankle to crotch. Still went sailing, though, and would have gone to the bottom like a heaving lead if we'd capsized. No such things as buoyancy aids then, of course. More fun were the 32ft cutters we had, 15 cadets on the windward side holding the bugger up.

Nick
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

My recent neigbour (now moved) was a Commander at Dartmouth College for a while and in charge of the the RNSA14s when they were all ordered to be scrapped. As you say....they were all burnt and Dartmouth College was a bit pissed off about it too, but an order is an order :-(

I do think they look nice though, I never sailed one. There was another 14ft open clinker class......um....Irish boat....Irish National 14 or something like that which also looked rather nice...anyone remember that.

About the Dayboat....we all think of the clinker boats, but some of the moulded hulls were very nice. There used to be one down on Bristol Docks which was very nicely built and seemed to me a much nicer boat all together than the clinker hulls.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I believe Bill O'Brien designed the boat you are thinking of - nothing to hand at the moment, though.
Rupert
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

If you are after something clinker and not too tippy for cruising then what about a Tideway?
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
nick

Post by nick »

The IDRA 14 was designed by George O'Brien Kennedy, as was the YW Dayboat, and was a proper variation of the Int.14, as was the Redwing. The RNSA 14 had a gunter rig, and was a slowcoach. I remember sailing against Erith Sailing Club in the late 50's. They trounced us, and they were using rubbish like Fleetwinds ! After we got rid of the RNSA 14's, we replaced them with GP's. They seemed like ocean greyhounds by comparison.

Nick