My dinghy may be a marlin???

an area to discuss dinghy developments
ryansdesk

Post by ryansdesk »

Ive recently aquired an old GRP sailing dinghy which after much searching around may be in fact be a marlin, if anyone could confirm this i would be very grateful. She is 4 meters long and 1.66 meters wide ive measured the mast to be 6.42 meters in length. If she is indeed a marlin does anyone know where i can get some pictures or information relating to this type of boat, i also am interested where i can get my hands on a set of plans for the boat as i have much to restore on her. Here are some pics i have taken of the boat:
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi Ryan,

my books have the Marlin at 3.99m x 1.68m with the mast at 6.4m so maybe. It does look like the picture on:

http:\\\geocities.com/dinghydata.DinghyClasses/Marlin.htm

Best Regards,

Nigel
Alan Price

Post by Alan Price »

Yes, definately a Marlin.
The measurements tally and there are a couple of pics that feature a couple of look alikes in my 1973 & 75 copies of "Boat World Guide No.1.Sailing Dinghies".
Designer was Ian Proctor.
It carried a spinnaker of 7.91sq. meters and weighed in at 97.83 kilos.
Portsmouth Number given as 97 in both copies.
In the 1975 copy, it is refered to as a Marlin MK2 "featuring transom ports with flaps" and "only available in complete form" but does'nt give a builder's name.Sail numbers had reached 400.
So perhaps your one is a MK1.
Hope this all helps,
Alan
ryansdesk

Post by ryansdesk »

thanks for the comments im sure it is a marlin, now all i need to do now is find plans for the foils as they need to be renewed.

Regard
Ryan
davidh

Post by davidh »

Ryan,

Did this come from the Southampton area? I knewthat there was one around, I wanted to sail it and get some pictures as I'd thought it a lovely boat.

There was some discussion on this in another sting - the Marlin could be quite a handy handicap racer.

Where will you be sailing

D
David H
ryansdesk

Post by ryansdesk »

it may have at one time, i bought it from a guy local here in scotland. Will be sailing local probably at loch lomond. Am still trying to get dimensions or plans for foils?????
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi Ryan,

I can scan and email a small silhouete drawing to give you an idea of the shape. You can then work out the approx dimensions from the centreboard casing & pivot. A few cardboard mock ups should get you close.N ot perfect but it would get you on the water. Let me know your email.

Best Regards,

Nigel
ryansdesk

Post by ryansdesk »

thanxs nigel but i have been able to get in touch with proctor designs ltd and they are going to send me the actual plan drawings for them, at a price of course. Do you have a marlin sailing dinghy? if you do have you any pics you can send me of it.

Regards

Ryan
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi Ryan,

I am afraid I do not have a Marlin. I do have a couple of pages of information in some old books that I will happily scan and email (let me know your email address)and some websites I use for general reference:

//uk.geocities.com/dinghydata/ (nice photo and reference to a Y&Y magazine report you may be able to track down)
http://www.dinghy-database.co.uk (no Marlin)
http://www.dinghyshop.co.uk (look at the boat classes info but also no Marlin)

Best Regards,

Nigel