Bouyancy bag repair

share hints, tips and experiences
Garry R

Bouyancy bag repair

Post by Garry R »

Firefly 937 has a buoyancy bow bag - old, made by Holt - you know the plastic white saftibag style but it has the tiniest pinprick hole - it takes about a week to go down but as it's a bowbag it isn't easy to get at it to blow up every week!! What is the best patch and glue which will take to this plastic material. As you can see I am using our cold weather to get on with the fiddly jobs before starting the work proper.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

You used to be able to buy a liquid plastic you smeared on which then sealed up pretty well. Chandlers stocked it - don't know if they still do?
Rupert
RichardB2

Post by RichardB2 »

Garry,

Firstly a very Happy New Year.

You can get some very strong, transparent, self adhesive puncture repair patches from good bike shops that will do the job and are very cheap!

Good luck

Richard
chris

Post by chris »

Remember the story about the little Dutch boy and the dyke?...

If you don't want to keep your finger in it repair patches work well. Once I just used a scrap of vinyl and some vinyl glue. worked fine.

One thing that does NOTwork is a dot of super glue . I once found a pin prick of a hole in the corner of a Holt bag and the only thing in my tool kit was superglue. It did the trick for that day but made the corner hard and brittleand the then the whole 'dot' fell out! but what do you expect from a dancing elf?
Mary

Post by Mary »

Bicycle repair patch worked well on my air bed last year, even with my weight on it all night. NB for next trip, check air bed is still OK, getting too old for sleeping on the ground :(
chris

Post by chris »

Yes we had that sinking feeling during the night at one CVRDa event last year.. Insulation tape and gaffa tape only delayed the process by a few hours. So we stole my daughter's lilo after that! .. She hasn't noticed yet either.
fatboyfinn

Post by fatboyfinn »

Gary,

What you need is "Aquaseal" its a polyureathane substance that come in tubes at about £5 - quite expensive - but it works. Good for fixing wetsuits and putting grips on my daughters very smooth shoes to stop her slidding down the stairs!

Andy
Pat

Post by Pat »

Have successfully fixed ours with Loctite soft plastic glue and also with Bostik All Purpose - as supplied in the b bag repair kit available.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)