Finn Wooden Boom Repair

share hints, tips and experiences
UCanoe_2

Re: Finn Wooden Boom Repair

Post by UCanoe_2 »

The sheet blocks on my boom appear to be Tufnol and stainless steel. They were made in Denmark by Borsen.

Plastic camshaft gears? I once had a Renault R-10, and there was some "creative" engineering on that car. I never completely trusted 3 lug nuts to keep the wheels attached.
UCanoe_2
Finn US 547
Landlocked in Mount Solon, VA
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Try Classic Marine for tufnol. It surprises me to see tufnol fittings go for a high price on ebay when you have no idea what condition they are in when you can buy new at not ridiculous prices which you know will be in good nick.

http://www.classicmarine.co.uk/prodtype ... 103&ph=cat

This will give you a starting page but the home page has a lot more.
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Blimey.....

that website if just fantastic!

And those prices are way way lower than anything I have ever found for Tuphnol or other plastics. I have mainly bought from the guy who sells off-cuts at boat jumbles but he is much much more expensive.

Big thanks!!

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
LASERTOURIST

Post by LASERTOURIST »

Seems that the "Whale" grade, suitable for boat fittings is also intended for gears....but perhaps not gears running at 4000rpm for 200 000 Km...but as this is an industrial supplier maybe they sell big quantities , not small chunks
UCanoe_2

Post by UCanoe_2 »

Does anybody know a US source for Tufnol?

I went to the local sawmill today and picked up a nice clear white oak board. One of my coworkers is going to help make a replacement for the hardwood section of the boom and epoxy it in place. We will use small dowel pins to keep the scarfed pieces from sliding around when they get lubricated with wet epoxy. We're planning to mill integral cheek blocks like the ones on Peter's boom. I'm debating whether to cut the bolt rope slot before or after sticking the pieces together. Stay tuned for further developments.
UCanoe_2
Finn US 547
Brian E. Evans

Post by Brian E. Evans »

To answer your question about a source for Tufnol in the US, here is a link to my local supplier, they are in San Diego Ca. http://www.sdplastics.com/plasmap.html
The thing here is asking the right question. Tufnol is a brand name, what you are looking for is Phenolic resin plastic, cloth reinforced. Click on their website and look for Phenolic .
This will lead you to their offerings of the various grades of Phenolic, I think for what you need, the cotton reinforcement is what you want.
Brian Evans.
UCanoe_2

Post by UCanoe_2 »

Thanks, Brian. That's way cool stuff.

I have stocked up on epoxy and made a jig for scarfing the boom parts. Apparently white oak has a reputation for not bonding reliably with epoxy. So, it's back to the sawmill for a piece of ash. Then I need to make another jig for gluing everything together.
UCanoe_2
Finn US 547
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I seem to remember hearing that Oak is quite acidic, which can cause problems. Spruce (Sitka Spruce?) tended to be the wood of choice for spars, as the grain is very straight, and it is light.
Rupert
UCanoe_2

Post by UCanoe_2 »

This boom is mostly spruce, with a section of hardwood scarfed onto the forward end. I've heard there was a problem with all-spruce booms breaking, so the manufacturers added the hardwood piece. I think it is ash, which is noted for its combined strength and flexibility.
UCanoe_2
Finn US 547
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

That would make sense - I got the wrong end of the stick (boom?!) slightly, there, and thought you were building a new one from scratch. Ash is used for tillers for the qualities you describe, so should be good.
Rupert
UCanoe_2

Post by UCanoe_2 »

I mostly completed the gluing jig last night, but still need to do some sanding. Tonight it is too cold to work in my drafty, unheated garage (42 deg F, with F 5 wind all day). BTW, the stationary power tools on hand are a late 1950s Shopsmith with 4" jointer, Shopsmith bandsaw of the same vintage on its own stand, mid 1960s Craftsman 9" radial arm saw, and a Taiwanese Craftsman drill press ca. late 1980s (?).
UCanoe_2
Finn US 547
UCanoe_2

Post by UCanoe_2 »

Canvas-reinforced phenolic is available in the US under the trade name "Garolite." I ordered some yesterday from McMaster-Carr. They have lots of other neat materials and parts on their website.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Material Garolite
Garolite Material Grade CE Garolite
Backing Plain Back
Shape Sheets, Bars, Strips, and Cubes
Opaque Brown
Lowest Temperature +0° to +60° F
Highest Temperature +201° to +300° F
Operating Temperature Range +32° to +239° F
Tolerance Standard
Specifications Met Military Specifications (MIL)
MIL Specification MIL-I-24768
UL Rating UL 94HB
UCanoe_2
Finn US 547