Satin varnish

share hints, tips and experiences
Garry R

Satin varnish

Post by Garry R »

I was all ready to varnish Gannet yesterday afternoon and opened the parcel of varnish which I had ordered about a month ago. Disappointed to see that it was Blakes DuraSatin where I had ordered DuraGloss. Fortunately I had just enough DuraGloss left from Vivette to put the coat on but I was just wondering what the Satin looks like on decks as I am going to give them a coat too. Also what happens when you coat gloss on top of the satin at a later stage - would it still look dull? I don't think that after a month I can return these so may use them. If the advice is that satin looks awful then I will buy in. Moral of the story - always check the parcel when it arrives. The company have always been reliable in the past so had no cause to check. Anyhow - any feelings on the satin/gloss issues.
Michael Brigg

Re: Satin varnish

Post by Michael Brigg »

You could use a satin finish...... :?

You could become a legend in your lifetime...... :shock:

Sandtex also comes to mind!.. :oops:

Quite apart from the problems you might have with cleaning off sticky fingerprints after in between race sandwiches I'm not sure that Pledge polish works too well in the wet and looking at the goldspar website it has this to say:

International Goldspar Varnish
A 1-part polyurethane high gloss varnish (clear).
Good UV and abrasion resistance.
Satin finish is for interior use only.

Blakes on the other hand has this to say:

Single pack, urethane modified alkyd with excellent resistance to alcohol and cleaning materials. Quick drying to an extremely hard and durable satin surface, which is highly resistant to wear and abrasion within hours of application, making it ideal for internal and external areas where the varnish needs to be beautiful and durable. For internal and external use above the waterline

Drinks are on the deck then I presume?
Michael Brigg
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

My resistance to Alcohol is rather less than excellent...
I can't see why Satin Varnish which is sold as boat varnish couldn't be used as underlayers - after all, it will be sanded back anyway. Provided it uses the same thinners, anyway.
Rupert
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

I can't remember sailing Gannet last year at any point when I thought to myself - my God I wish I had used a satin varnish as I really could do with a whisky but hey ho - I went for the gloss so I'll have to wait until I get back to the clubhouse. Now here's an idea. A nice cocktail on the satin deck at the side of the pond (sealer)!!
RB2

Post by RB2 »

Hi Garry,

I used Satin varnish once (some years ago) and really and truthfully wasn't very impressed with the outcome. Stating the bleedi'n obvious if you can get it changed do so.

ATB

Richard
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Have done so - even though I may have to give up drinking and helming!!