Gold lettering

share hints, tips and experiences
Rupert

Re: Gold lettering

Post by Rupert »

I confess, always hated airfix kits. Probebly explains why I've never had the urge to build a Mirror Dinghy, either!
Rupert
Ianphot

Post by Ianphot »

Do signwriters still exist? They used to do the gold/size lettering. I had a go under a signwriters direction once - traced the letters from a Letraset catalogue (it was in the 1970s) rubbed soft pencil on the back, transferred the letters onto the surface (like using carbon paper) and applied size within the outlines. Gold leaf is then stuck on and peeled/rubbed off leaving perfect gold letters! I seem to remember being told that you can eat the remaining gold leaf but I gave that a miss! Materials came from a bookbinding supplier.

Ian
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Just to continue the stream of interesting but potentially useless info that the nefarious contributors to the CVRDA bring to the fount of knowledge, there is a bookshop in Petersfield (incidentally run by Erica Roe of Twikenham streaking fame - yes! really!!) who in the last few months have a small room at the back where there is a bookbinder/restorer currently working and he might have a supply of gold leaf.

PS Erica Roe has not worn well............. the range of books is incredible though!!
Frank Baldry

Post by Frank Baldry »

Garry,

Petersfield Bookshop is truly a wonderful place and I try to visit every week to look for bargains in the maritime section.As far as I know, Erica Roe no longer works there, apparently she now lives in Portugal.
The owner is the infamous 'John Anthony Portsmouth Football Club Westwood', Google him!!
chris

Post by chris »

Garry , No wonder you thought Erica Row has aged if you can't tell the difference between her and John Anthony......should have gone to specsavers.

If anyone want addresses of suppliers of gold leaf I can oblige.
ps for this method do ask for Transfer Gold not loose leaf ( or you will really have fun chasing bits of gold as it floats through the air.)