Gold lettering

share hints, tips and experiences
jonathan

Gold lettering

Post by jonathan »

Hello folks.

I need some gold lettering and wonder where I could get this from. I think they are transfers like we used to find in the 2/- Airfix kits but bigger.

I lookforward to hearing about this.

Jonathan
Garry R

Re: Gold lettering

Post by Garry R »

I had thought about this for Gannet and had asked but it seemed that it was mission impossible. However there are a number of folk (on ebay) who do a set of Vinyl Gold lettering self adhesive for about £10 for a boat name and a choice of fonts which might be as close as you get these days. Haven't used them myself I have to confess.
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Hello Gary

I have seen these and they do not look so good as the old transfers especially the ones they used to get that were edged in a fine black line. I might just get a nice piece of oak engraved and fix it on the inside.
RB2

Post by RB2 »

Hi Jonathan,

Follow this link

http://funkymonkeydesign.co.uk/index.php

Should offer what you are looking for.

Cheers

Richard :D
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Hello Richard

Thanks for the link. I saw this a couple of days ago and if I can't get the transfers I will look at these again as a substitute.

Regards

Jonathan
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

This has been discussed before and as Gary says......

To the best of our knowledge it is impossible to get slide off transfers any more.

I looked and looked and then gave up.

I did find the name of a company that used to make them, but could not make contact.

What I did find......but would have to look again for the name is an american or Ozzie company who sold the tissue that is used to put the graphics on surf-boards. You can then use an inkjet printer to print out the name onto the tissue and varnish over the top which makes the tissue go transparent and leaves the graphic.

I was curious about this process, but did not follow up as I wasn't sure that an Inkjet gold was good enough anyway.

Good luck and keep searching, I still can't believe that there is not someone, somewhere who can still make up 'slide-off transfers'.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Thanks Ed

I have written to "Mr Piano" Chris to ask about the lettering on piano lids. There must be a supplier as I am sure they are not signwritten individually. We shall see.

Regards from snowy Essex.

Jonathan
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

I have found this company site and have written to ask if they can supply letters so will post their response in case anyone needs some.

http://www.benporium.co.uk
chris

Post by chris »

I have sent a note to Jonathan about oil gilding which is not too difficult for letters of a reasonable size to do. It is real gold so the results are good. The gold leaf is transfer gold which comes attached to a sheet of thin paper so handling it is OK .I can give details of suppliers and may have enough to spare but I will have to look in my cupboard. You paint a type of varnish (size) which goes tacky and then press on the gold. All you need is a steady hand to paint the letter-shape in the size but you can clean up after.
The piano firm Heckschers in London 02073871735 certainly used to do letter transfers but probably too small for boats. Not sure that they still do thouigh. If your boat is called Steinway or Bluther you may be in luck! (these might be brass letters anyway)
Graphic artists that do signs etc can laser cut letters for you out of just about anything. Google signwriter and see what you get.
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Ed have used the transfer tissue with students in Photography lesson. It's fairly good and I would have thought acceptable if you were after any other colour except gold or silver.
Cheers Al
Just spoken to a student about it after about six months the ink started to fade badly.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Surprising what you find browsing over old theads....

Now I have my boat back I want to get the name back on in a nice original style. It seems however that the old style transfers are not available.

Until... Garry comes to the rescue. Way back in 30th sept '04, on the first page of this chat forum he answers this very same question, in a posting titled "Name Transfers/Decals!"

http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/Pr ... 8&CatID=15

They make a variety of papers it seems bur the one to get is the Inkjet waterslide decal. These are the ones we used to use on out Airfix model airplanes. The ink must first be prepared with an acrylic spray or it will run when the transfer is floated off in water. (Spray supplied on the same site)

Next problem is how to get a good gold/bronze effect and where to find the font I want.
Michael Brigg
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Chris is right, Gold Leaf work is not that difficult if you have a steady hand. Doing it directly on the boat could be a problem because of working heights etc. A separate name plaque could be the way to go because that can be prepared on the bench.

D
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Ah yes I remember well the transfers on the old Airfix and Revell kits curling up as soon as you put them in the saucer of water. And of course the fun of r-assembling the jigsaw of broken decals where an overenthusiastic and ham fisted boy (me) had managed to break the RAF roundels into bits. Hands up all those who built at least one Spitfire/Messershmidt?
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Actually what we really should put our hands up for is

"Who has still got them in a box in the attic."

and "Does your wife know?"
Michael Brigg
davidh

Post by davidh »

Still have the Frog kit for a Fairey Barracuda here....... somewhere

D