Help with a MiniSail

share hints, tips and experiences
andytrombone

Help with a MiniSail

Post by andytrombone »

Hi everyone, I've just acquired a minisail (sail no 4837) and would be grateful for any and all advice or pictures of how other people rig theirs etc.
For some reason mine has four double blocks and jamming cleats by the foot of the mast!!
Many thanks.

Andy
JimC

Re: Help with a MiniSail

Post by JimC »

A photo is always good with this sort of thing Andy. It might be kicker and cunningham led to each side but without seeing the layout its difficult to tell...
andytrombone

Post by andytrombone »

Good point Jim, I have put some pictures up at http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/andytrombone/MiniSail.
All comments welcomed!

Andy
JimC

Post by JimC »

Probably Kicker and cunningham - certainly best used like that. What other bits are there in the bits box. There might have been a V jammer kicker in which vase these would be cunningham and outhaul (and a better lead for the ropes).

The cunningham/downhaul probably only needs to be 2:1, so run from forward cleat through forward side of the double block, up through sail and down the other side.

Kicker needs a bit more purchase even on a minisail, which is probably what the middle fairlead is about. The way I'd do it I think would be to put a single block on that fairlead and run the kicker line from clear, through double block, up to double block on boom or hanging from boom, down to the centre block and repeat the other side. There are loads of other combnations possible dependiong on what spares are in the bits box!

Now the only trouble with this arrangement is that when there's some load on neither double block will line itself up with the rope properly so there will be extra friction. Sadly that sort of thing was all too common! Better arrangements are possible if you want to spend about 90 quid on gear, which is frankly pointless, or if you have loads of bits in the bits box...

You also need to be a bit carful because if you wang on the sort of loads the kids do on their Toppers these days the fairleads will probably pull out of the deck! That was also all too common back then!
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Nice boats, but the boom is somewhat bendy, and will snap if you put a powerful kicker on it. The mast is a long way from where the helm lives, so it is well worth bringing everything aft as far as possible in the way of controls. The outhaul was usually on the boom, and was usless because when the boom bent, the sail got all baggy...
I'm constantly toying with the idea of getting another minisail, but if I do, I will be updating the boom, but other than that, they have a lot going for them. Great off the wind, but a handful upwind, hence the sliding seat many were given
Good luck with it. Mainly keep the contrls simple and handy and you won't go wrong
Rupert