Guidance and help needed!

share hints, tips and experiences
Howlin

Guidance and help needed!

Post by Howlin »

Hi,
Could anyone please advise?
I'm interested in reading up/learning about traditional clinker boat building. I know, a huge topic, probably more information out there than my little brain could ever cope with! But seriously, could anyone point me in the right direction of a book which describes/explains this craft, or is it an art?
Secondly, I'm also interested in finding out more of the history of my IC127. Is there any information about Avalon, the builders of my little beauty? I thought I'd start there.
My wife thinks I'm barking Looking up the Family Tree of my boat! Keeps me out of trouble!
Thanks in advance,
Simon.
neil
Site Admin

Re: Guidance and help needed!

Post by neil »

For Clinker boatbuilding the starting point is John Leathers' book
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clinker-Boatbui ... 0713636432

also check out the Bookshop section in Watercraft magazine - there's some very nice books in there.

I'll see if I can find my IC records - should be on a hardrive somewhere
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Howlin

Post by Howlin »

Thanks Neil, I've just ordered the book you suggested.
I just e-mailed Stu and he's said he's got a file full of canoe info I can pick up off him in the near future.
Thanks for your help,
Regards,
Simon
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

I think Stu (or possibly Ed) has my Canoe History CD Rom. maybe on day I'll get it back :wink:

There is a spreadsheet of boat history which I updated, I can't find it at the moment but will search through my backup harddrives when I get a moment

I archived the old IC life a while back - http://www.intcanoe.org/iclife/ there's some good history stuff here
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Avalon Boats as the names suggests in the 1960's at any rate were based in the Weston Supe Mare - Cheddar area (Isle of Avalon Somerset Levels.) I only knew them as builders of esoteric Merlin Rockets from scratch and finishers of other better known builders hulls. They did build other one offs Int 14's Nat 12's Int Canoes and Flying Fifteens. I moved to Denmark in 1970 and thus heard no more of them. That might help, I would think some of the older members at Cheddar (Bristol Cotinthian YC) such as Anthony Evans or Ian Brown both still with us would know both had Avalon Boats.
Simples.