Dulux Paints

share hints, tips and experiences
fatboyfinn

Re: Dulux Paints

Post by fatboyfinn »

Getting of the subject of paint - I noticed that Ed mentioned keeping a Tideway in a mud
berth. Just, I was looking for a place to keep my near classic Telstar Tri.(1979) Having moved from Exeter to Plymouth and always liked the Tamar. Just wondering about mud berths around
Calstock/Cargreen....Ed
Andy

Finn 563
Finn 373
Telstar 28
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Oh cripes.....I know I should move this one to a new thread!

But can't immediately remember how to....

quick answer is...

Don't know of any....but they are about.

I keep my Tideway on the Quayside lieing in the mud. but not much room for a 'Tri'.

But drop by sometime and we could have a chat about it.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Ed Said,
I wanted to paint half a merlin in Purple and half in Green
Is that a faded port and starboard or... surely not Old School coulors??!! :roll:
Michael Brigg
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Certainly not school colours.

Purple and Green are traditionally the colours of the suffragettes.

But I make no claim of it being a hidden demand for female emancipation.

I think I just liked the colours.

Always been so cross that Blakes/Int don't have any purples or hot-blues in their colour range.....and why ....oh why do they have to have the same range of colours???
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

:idea: ...Or The All England Tennis Club

Michael Brigg
Pat

Post by Pat »

why ....oh why do they have to have the same range of colours???
...so we can buy yet more Pillar Box Red to do Half Cut again :)
RichardB2

Post by RichardB2 »

Still labouring this one. Sorry!!

Just spoke with Brewers and they advised that Trade Dulux paint is much far superior to the off shelf paint that you buy in the DIY stores. The off shelf kit is filled out with chalk which adds thickness but drastically reduces duarability wheras the trade paints have added pigments meaning they last much,much longer and are much tougher, the toughest being the Dulux Trade Weathersafe. Also advised that Brewers can mix these paints to any RAL/BS colour you require. So there you have it.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

any idea on comparative cost between Dulux Trade paints and international marine paints?

I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't too much.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

A quick paint related question...the white sand filled nonslip paint in the bottom of Saskia has flaked in places. I've sanded it down to a sound surface, but has anyone found that any one paint with added sand works better than others in an area where wetsuit boots scuff? Can't be 2 pack, of course...
As an aside, I blew my B&D Mouse sander up today - big flash and bang, lots of smoke and an interesting smell. I had to nip out and get something new, so I went for a Bosch this time, as it was lightest and shallowest. Can't believe the cost of the sanding discs for it, or the Mouse, though. Any cheap places on the internet?
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Suggest you cut out discs from cheaper supply and Super glue them tio the velcro backed disc you have?
Michael Brigg
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

As much as I like the 'mouse' sanders....I have never thought the cost worthwhile.

I have always bought the square palm sanders, that you can use normal roll sandpaper with.

Those are available in a range of £15- £85, but I have always been happy with the cheapest ones from toolbay or screwfix.

What seems to break first is the clips that hold the paper, especially if you are using 40grit.

Andy at Damp'n'Gusty always used to say that B&D tools had a design life of about 40hours. This has always seemed like an overestimate to me....except for my B&D hotair gun which has done years and years of service and is still working now as long as you remember to hit it to start the fan...otherwise it gets very hot - very quickly.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
RichardB2

Post by RichardB2 »

I was quoted:

Weathershiled:

2.5l = £36.35

1L = £19.15

Dulux Trade:

2.5L = £27.15

1L = £14.10

So I suspect not a lot. The only plus with Dulux is you can mix and match colours which is a BIG plus.

Cheers :D
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Rupert wrote:Can't believe the cost of the sanding discs for it, or the Mouse, though. Any cheap places on the internet?
Ebay is always worth a look. Not sure how this compares or if it is your model:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/x50-BOSCH-DELTA-S ... 240%3A1318

Nigel
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Ed wrote:I have always bought the square palm sanders, that you can use normal roll sandpaper with.
Totally agree, I have a box of sanders ranged from the mother of all belt sanders down to the detail finger sander. The one I bought to do the Tideway was Makita palm sander and is the best power tool I've ever bought. OK, it cost me £50 but it's lasted me for ages and has taken lots of abuse, many droppings, immersion in water (damn that leaky roof) and the odd kick across the workshop.

Many years ago when I was a lad building boats on the east coast I bought a complete set of Bosch power tools, most of these packed up after about 15 or 20 years of use - rebuilding the house did most of them in. So I replaced like with like....and the Bosch replacements lasted less than a year. I went down the B&Q own brand route and found I could burn out a sander or drill in a matter of months. The LIDL stuff lasts better than most home brands, but I'm very impressed with the Makita stuff and if you keep an eye on Screwfix they seem to have Makaita as a loss leader.

With regards to paint, today I picked up some Teamac Marine Gloss (http://www.teamac.co.uk/) for £10 a litre. Any one got any experience of Teamac?
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Ed said
my B&D hotair gun which has done years and years of service and is still working
...and when not being used for stripping paint the are superb fire starters. No more standing in front of the fire holding a newspaper over the flue to get it drawing.

Simply plug in, point at kindling (wet or otherwise) and come back in 5 minutes to a roaring fire!
Michael Brigg