new deck for an Albacore - a string of questions...

share hints, tips and experiences
ACB

new deck for an Albacore - a string of questions...

Post by ACB »

The boat is a Fairey hull, which, according to established wisdom, is only going to be competitive in light airs, so I am trying to keep down to minimum weight. To this end I will stick with the all air bag arrangement that she came with.

Can I get away with 5mm Gaboon ply?

What bits of the hull would benefit most from part bulkheads?

Which is the better combi trailer for such a beast?

F 3163 "Aquarius",
IC K229 nameless for the time being
I14 K377 "Mercury" - long term rebuild project
Pat

Re: new deck for an Albacore - a string of questions...

Post by Pat »

Don't believe the light airs bit - depending on helm and crew and weights they are one of the better boats at a heavier weather cvrda event!
As for trailer - any combi with good boat balance (slightly nose heavy) and a well fitted cradle and good strapping down.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Pat wrote: good strapping down
... but beware ratchet straps! They have damaged more boats than I have had hot dinners!
Pat

Post by Pat »

The operative word was GOOD - ratchet straps should never touch boat - which means a strongback or in our case 4" by 2" padded timber wider than the boat with notches for the ratchet strap so everything is pulled downwards not outwards.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I would use whatever ply is the thinnest allowed by class rules.

I am sure 5mm would be plenty thick enough. If you are not sitting on it and it is not directly structural, I reckon 4mm would be fine.....but you got to check the class rules.

Not sure about extra bulkheads....would again look at rules.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Surely ratchet straps without a strongback pull a boat inwards?

The man to ask about Albacore re-decking is Chris Barlow who did his a couple of years ago.
mcyotty

Post by mcyotty »

Over-tightened ratchet straps tend to 'break off' overhanging gunwhales which are fairly common on wooden dinghies. I've had a few to repair, not my own I hasten to add, on Nat Twelves and Solos! So please take care out there you strapping lads!!
Steve Bailey

Post by Steve Bailey »

Tried posting earlier but it seems to have disappeared into thin air . . .
However, in addition to what's been written about trailers and ratchet straps, I'm sure 5mm gaboon ply for a new deck will be fine, I don't believe the class rules specify a thickness but they are strict about plan dimensions. You would be as well getting two sheets to make a good job, and if your boat has a rear deck you will certainly need them.
Instead of fitting part bulkheads I would convert the side benches into buoyancy tanks, with a strut from each tank to the the forward end of the centreboard case. I wish I'd had time to do that on A195, but had to give the industrial unit back to it's rightful owners! The beneficial stiffness imparted to the hull and centreboard case would far outweigh the extra few pounds in weight and tanks are loads better than bags in a capsize.
Pat is right about the light airs by the way. A195 goes like anything in a good breeze and whilst you might struggle against a new Alb - I certainly do - you could do well in a mixed fleet of older boats.
All the best
Steve
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi all,

I have seen a few boats with holes in the hull where the dreaded ratchet strap has forced the trailer support through the bottom. It may have just been the early demise of rotting hulls but it is surprising how much pressure they can exert.

Nigel
ent228

Post by ent228 »

Thinking about ratchet straps, these are only really a problem if the boat is not supported well. On my first Finn some nice person had mad a custom glass fibre craddle for it about 8" wide lined with carpet. I'm going to make one for my other Finn, but if you really want to keep your boat well, make one up.

Turn boat over, use PVC sheet on hull, and build up a nice grp craddle with metal struts to the trailer structure.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Turn boat over, use PVC sheet on hull, and build up a nice grp craddle with metal struts to the trailer structure
Sandy's been going to do that for years (another round tuit) but as an easier option our cradle is made from industrial width electrical trunking - strong but flexible - and covered with astroturf doormat. It's now done hundreds of miles all over Britain without problems.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Any chance of a spec on that (dimensions/supplier) or a picture would be great.
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

The astro turf doormat is a better option than carpet. It will dry out and also not trap grit so much. Leaving a boat sitting on wet carpet may cause problems with the finish. It can certainly cause osmosis in grp hulls.

:idea:
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Morrison's have a lovely cheap soft rubber doormat with great big holes which can be easily cut to fit and the best bit is that unlike carpet or astroturf it does not hold water or grit on a launch trolley. Mine has lasted 2 seasons no problem.
ent228

Post by ent228 »

Good idea about the carpet, I'll consign all mine to my proto allotment........