Getting a decent paint finish?

share hints, tips and experiences
bert

Re: Getting a decent paint finish?

Post by bert »

I went into the local chandier`s? and brought some woodsealer for the bear wood of the hull used 2 coats & looks good,Followed up with 2 further coats of varnish on top with at least one more coat to go ( due to time limits ).

Not bad at all for a first attempt but the 3rd coat should improve the looks if not the speed of the vessel.

I don`t know what roller`s everybody uses but focus diy shops had some mini rollers designed for varnish which are harder than the normal short hair rollers & come in a double pack £3 ish & leave a good starting finsh before jenny brushing.
Brian 42

Post by Brian 42 »

As one with little time to spend and definitely subscribing to the theory that time on the water is better than in the garage ... my technique for a quick and passable finish on the Nat 12 after the fairing and machining everyone has mentioned:

Use the bog standard cheap and cheerful (well - not the really pricey stuff) Int /blakes one pot white spirit based paint/varnish but thin it right down to 50/50 paint/white spirit. Roller on with a B&Q foam roller and brush out the bubbles with B&Q throw-away brushes. Quick rub-down between coats with 1200 grit wet to get a key. Final finish was shameful compared to the green Merlin - but quite adequate to sit on the N12 stand at the dinghy show the other year without causing embarrassment. The ultra runny paint/varnish seems to level out really easily and tends not to drag bristles off the brush. Obviously it needs quite a few coats, but not too much time actually doing the job.

Brian
N12 3111
B14 688
Wildfire 84
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Exploration of the Fens is uncovering all sorts of delights. Apart from the lovely birds there is a great number of boatyards dedicated to narrow boats and cruisers and the like, which also sell a good range of cheaper than online fillers, resins, epoxies etc. Further, having struggled to Brewers in Cambridge (where the young man was a delight and not at all chauvinist; probably an unemployed Cambridge grad with a useful degree in PPE) I have now discovered a Travis Perkins just three miles away. Just as well, because in my relief in finding Brewers, my shock at being able to park and my delight in finding the delightful boy, I forgot to purchase undercoat.

My question is this: how many coats of primer should I apply before slapping on the undercoat (once I have voyaged out to get it)?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Theoretically, one. However, if, as is likely, once you have a surface all of one colour, you find all sorts of extra bits needing filling, it will then need an extra coat once the filler (and paint) has been sanded off.
I hear the Beachcomber calling, Nessa...
Do you remember the Topgear where they drove across Namibia in the old bangers? There was a Beetle in the background that they would have to drive if one of their cars died.The Beachcomber is taking on that role. Of course, the Beetle turned out to be a better car than all of them, making it with no trouble. I wonder if the Beachcomber is the same?!
Rupert
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Yes, I also fear the spectre of the Beachcomber.... :(

I take it then you would prime, then fill, then prime again? As opposed to filling then priming?

The weather is set to turn too...and yes, I saw that Topgear. It filled me with pride because at the time I was driving a VW Passat with 265,000 on the clock!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Graham T

Post by Graham T »

I tend to fill, sand , prime then fill all the bits I missed first time and prime again.... If I haven't missed any then it only needs one coat but how often does that happen? The nice flat primer does tend to show up any imperfections. You only really need to re-prime the filled spots but I usually do the whole thing as primer is a good pinhole filler in its own right.
Graham T
Osprey 1340, Osprey 1245, Osprey 55, Miracle 1358, Laser heap, ancient Mirror kit half assembled, Project Miracle in need of decks........
Kielder Water Sailing Club
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

The Beachcomber is much maligned but I think it would make an ideal beginers boat. The low aspect of the rig just makes it so stable in stronger winds.

If I had to sail a singlehander long distance, I would have a lot of confidence in choosing it.

I think everyone that is rude about it will have to have a go next Sunday so that in the future they can be rude based on experience :D

It is also great for novelty races as you can leave the sail where it is and rotate the boat underneath it to cross the finishing line stern first :?
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Nigel wrote:
It is also great for novelty races as you can leave the sail where it is and rotate the boat underneath it to cross the finishing line stern first :?
This I must see!
Rupert
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Rupert wrote:
Nigel wrote:
This I must see!
If I'm sailing the Beachcomber, there's every possibility you will, but it won't have been deliberate. Nigel, I don't mean to be rude; I am looking forward to the challenge and will regard it as part of my sailing education!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Pat

Post by Pat »

It is also great for novelty races as you can leave the sail where it is and rotate the boat underneath it to cross the finishing line stern first
Sounds like a severe test of rule 42 bending :D